It Is Possible – A Step Forward for Asian Americans in Hollywood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As an avid film and TV fan, I cannot help but be aware of the news that’s coming out of the entertainment industry. I love all kinds of movies, but I think just like everyone else, comic book movies are just the most entertaining thing in the world. Sometimes it can be disappointing, but whenever the characters just clash together and start punching each other, you’re just satisfied with how entertaining it is. Maybe I’m a little biased, but I know the comic book fans out there will agree with what I’m saying. Moreover, I want nothing but representation for myself and my fellow Asian Americans. There is not enough of “us” in Hollywood, and I don’t think I can ever say that enough. It was unbelievably frustrating and disappointing to see Hawaii Five-0, one of the most fun series I’ve ever watched, lose two integral characters: Chin-Ho and Kono. I remember when I first discovered this show, I was super excited because out of four of the main characters, two of them are pure Asian Americans, not mixed, just Asian descents. But now they are leaving because they have been asking for a raise, rightfully so, because they have been paid 10-15% less of their white co-stars. You would think after #OscarsSoWhite, so many diversity controversies, or just the sheer fact that it’s 2017, Hollywood wouldn’t have this kind of pay issue anymore, but I guess, 7 seasons isn’t enough for a show to realize on-screen diversity should also translate to pay equality.

However! After all this rant and chaos, a little good, or perhaps progression, has come. Recently, Ed Skrein, a white British actor, is casted in the new film that’s adapted from the Hellboy comics. Shortly after this news was announced, people were outraged on social media, appropriately calling the film out for whitewashing the role. I don’t think I’m the first one, or last one, to mention how much Hollywood loves to whitewash Asian characters (Emma Stone in Aloha, Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in the Shell, Tilda Swinton in Doctor Strange…and many more). But, Ed Skrein did something almost nobody ever had the balls to do: he stepped down from the role. I can’t even begin to talk about how monumental his action was. For an actor to quit the role out of respect for the character’s original heritage, especially an incredible role, maybe the best he’ll ever come across, is a remarkable and admirable thing. His action pushed Hollywood forward, and I’m so glad that he was brave enough to do so. And to make this even better, Daniel Dae Kim was cast for the role in this new Hellboy reboot. I’m overjoyed to see a fellow Hawaii Five-0 star, an Asian American, to take on a blockbuster film. That being said, the character was Japanese-American in the original Hellboy comics, and while I hope Hollywood can be more conscious about the different ethnicities in Asia, this whole thing just turned out to be an amazing step forward. We are now in a time where everything seems to be going ten steps back, a little step forward like this will never fail to make me smile.

Daniel Dae Kim, recently cast in the Hellboy reboot

Ed Skrein, who stepped down from the role because he couldn’t play the character in “a culturally accurate way.”

Photo taken from BBC News.

Rosalyn Wang

UC Berkeley

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.