Woman with books balanced on her head
Woman with books balanced on her head
Original photo by Cassandra Shin

IS A LOFT BED A COLLEGE ESSENTIAL?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I stayed in a loft bed for my first year of college and learned quite a bit along the way. Granted, there weren’t many other options given the size of the room that I shared with my roommates. All in all, I ended up really enjoying furniture configuration and a few friends even purchased the same model as I did! Despite how much I love this purchase, I thought I’d share a few pros and cons for anyone who might be making the same decision.

First, the pros:

1. Space Conservation

Of course, the biggest pro of the loft bed is the amount of space you save by combining your desk and bed. Almost all college apartments are small, so it’s nice to have a bit of room for your dresser, bookshelves, and other shelving units. 

1. Ideal Private Spaces for Studying and Sleeping 

The enclosed study space below the bed allowed me to get “in the zone” while studying at my desk. I usually ate my meals there and didn’t feel distracted by anything outside. In addition, I felt like my sleeping space was quiet and closed off, especially being so high off the ground.

1. Lots of Storage Space

There’s a lot of storage space built into both sides of the desk to store pens, textbooks, note paper, and electronics. I had more than enough space at the desk to take exams and everything I needed to study at my fingertips. There were walls on all sides of the desk to place cork boards and whiteboards.  My desk was more organized than it’d been in years.

1. It’s Harder to Climb Back Into Bed 

This might actually be the biggest pro for me. I used to study in bed, which was just terrible for my back and neck muscles, and I had trouble getting up because I would quickly go back to sleep.  However, when I got a loft bed, I put my alarm on the bottom level which forced me to get out of bed. Since it was a hassle to get in bed, my bed was exclusively for sleeping. This little trick helped me be more productive during the day and sleep better at night.

While this sounds great, a loft bed purchase is not all rosy:

1. Climbing Into Bed After a Tiring Day Can Be Annoying

If your body is sore or you have a headache, it might be a bit painful to climb into bed at night. Although it’s unlikely this will be an everyday issue, sometimes you just want to fall into bed after spending a long day at school. 

1. Not Enough Sunlight 

Particularly, for my bed model, I felt like I didn’t get enough sunlight because the top bunk was blocked on all sides. However, there are other loft bed models that don’t have this feature. 

1. Hitting your Head

This is probably the first thing people worry about when considering a loft bed, and after living with a loft bed for one a year, it’s a completely valid concern. I didn’t hit my head super frequently, but when I did, it hurt so badly.  All I can say is be careful!

All things considered, the loft bed was a great (and necessary) purchase for my first year of college. No matter what, make the decision that’s the best fit for you.

Freshman in EECS at UC Berkeley