I Try to Travel Alone (and why you should too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

I absolutely adore traveling. Any opportunity I get, I am running for the airport, train station, or bus stop. I live for immersing myself in a completely different culture, and that thrill from purchasing tickets sends shivers down my spine. It’s such an amazing experience, one that truly bond people together. Planning imaginary trips with friends to backpack in Kauai or picnic along the Seine in Paris has always been a favorite wanderlusting past time. However, the majority of my travelling is spent with only my well loved Timbuk2 backpack and an insatiable desire for adventure, leaving my friends waiting at home.

Many people who know me, always are concerned for me. “Aren’t you scared?” “What if something happens?” “You’re so young, I’m just worried something will happen to you!” I honestly just ignore these comments. Although very endearing, I don’t take it as more than “be careful” or “be responsible”, which frankly is something that I should constantly be doing. 

Travelling alone is the best time to learn about yourself. With two or more people, there’s always compromise in activities, so you can’t get a true sense of how you act. You are in a completely different environment all by your lonesome, which can really bring out a lot of traits you might not know you do.  

1. Need for familiarity: Do you run toward the nearest Starbucks in sight, or maybe find new refuge in the mom and pop cafe with the cutest country decor? Searching to shop around name brands, or take a stroll through the marketplace? How important is that little piece of home to you? I found that, although I truly pride myself on an ability to search out the new and unknown, I need to have McDonald’s everywhere I go (one time I even walked three miles to and from in a blizzard to do so). 
  2. Planning: This one is pretty clear in non-travelling life, yet doesn’t always translate. I find myself laughing at the fact that I put so much effort into planning imaginary trips, schedules, or other life plans, but rarely plan anything past booking a place to stay.  Do you know everything you’re doing months before you even book tickets, or play it by ear? Can you work with loose or no structure?
  3. Ability to Adapt: You missed your stop on the subway. Do you call a taxi as soon as you get off, reverse directions, or just don’t bother and keep going? How flexible are you? Are you panicking? Adaptation is not only important to travelling, it is an essential human skill, which is accentuated through travel. Foster it, let it flourish. 

There are plenty more traits that travelling alone probably brings out, but these all contribute to pushing you out of your comfort zone. Travelling is a time to experience new and exciting things, and a little piece of familiarity is great, but challenge yourself, make the most of it. Always wanted to go to New Orleans? Book it. Felt Narita calling your name? Book it. Even if you want to just go a few hours away, do it. Push yourself, you don’t need anyone else to be with you.

Zoe Kiely

UC Berkeley

Find me at the airport, at a concert, or in my bed. You can also just email me: zmkiely@berkeley.edu
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.