HOW TO SUPPORT LATINX COMMUNITIES DURING HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As a Latina, I am always looking for ways to pay homage to my culture and roots. This means that for Hispanic Heritage Month, I am ready to celebrate and spread the word about traditions and issues affecting the Latinx community.

There are many ways to get involved and support the Latinx community. One of the most important things you can do to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month is to get informed and help spread awareness about issues affecting the Hispanic community. Quick ways to get informed are through social media platforms and podcasts that provide an entertaining and informative way of teaching individuals about these issues and how to help counteract them.

Instagram accounts such as @brownissues and @brownissues_ucb are the perfect way to get involved in the on-campus Latinx community and learn about Hispanic culture and current issues affecting the Latinx community. Another mainstream platform that also focuses on the Latinx community is @brwnartink (Brown Girls Museum Blog) which talks about women empowerment in the Hispanic community.

Another great way to stay educated on these topics is to listen to podcasts such as “Cafe con Pam” and “Bag Ladiez.” “Cafe con Pam” is an informative podcast that focuses on different Hispanic people that have broken barriers in their careers and lives. “Bag Ladiez” is another incredible podcast that is geared towards women of color and discusses important topics such as mental health and self-improvement.

The last way you can support the Hispanic community is by supporting Latinx-owned small businesses. If you’re looking for some make-up or hair care products, Bomba Curls sells hair products for curly hair and is owned by an Afro-Dominican business owner while the Beauty Blender is Latina-owned. If you’re looking for a way to spice up your style, Jen Zeano Designs is a Latina-owned Etsy account that sells a wide selection of shirts, sweatshirts, and accessories with empowering messages. You should also check out Morena and Proud, a jewelry business-centered right here in the Bay Area, which sells beautiful necklaces, bracelets, and rings.

These are just some ways you can support the Latinx community during Hispanic Heritage Month. Most importantly, don’t forget to show your support for the Latinx community and other communities of color year-round!

Chantal Chew

UC Berkeley '24

Hi everyone! I am a second year at UC Berkeley studying Public Health. On my free time I enjoy binge watching new shows on Netflix, FaceTiming family, and hanging out with friends.