Career > Money

HOW TO BE A GIFT-GIVER WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Those with little to no income, like myself, can find it difficult to give gifts to loved ones on special occasions. There are birthdays, weddings, or even condolences that need to be acknowledged, and it can be financially overwhelming if they inconveniently take place around the same time. Here are three ways that you can send your love whether you’re a few miles away or across the country. 

1) BLANK GREETING CARDS  

Purchasing blank greeting cards, such as Red Foil Christmas Cards & Envelopes by Recollections, which includes 24 cards for $2.99 (before tax), is an intimate and affordable way to send gifts to loved ones. For about 12 cents per card and a 58 cent first-class USPS stamp, it comes out to about 70 cents to make a personalized gift for someone. Next time you find yourself between a rock and a hard place financially but still want to send a special gift, writing a special message and decorating a card for them just might do the trick.

2) GIFT CARDS 

Buying packs of gift cards at your local Walgreens or CVS is another great way to send gifts for multiple occasions without breaking the bank. For example, a pack of three $10 Starbucks gift cards is a $30 value that extends over three separate special moments and comes out to $10 per gift. Also, it is important to note that pairing the individual gift cards with a greeting card from the pack makes a wonderful gift that does not strain your finances. 

3) PHONE CALL OR VIDEO CHAT 

They say “the best things in life are free” and sometimes we have to admit that we simply cannot afford to give in the materialistic sense. Keeping it simple and calling a loved one, sharing a conversation, and letting them know that you’re thinking about them on a special day makes all the difference. 

Once folks shy away from setting unrealistic expectations that can cause financial stress, there are many simple and affordable ways to be a gift-giver without breaking the bank. 

Diana Urias

UC Berkeley '22

Diana is currently a senior majoring in Sociology at UC Berkeley and looking forward to graduating in 2022. She is from San Jose, California and has a personal interest in working with young people who are in foster care and or incarcerated in juvenile detention. Diana also enjoys writing as a form of therapy and self-expression particularly journaling.