XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

How I Simplified My Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

A couple of months ago my face decided to flip out on me and massive pimples started popping up. Left, right, middle — you name it, it was there. I was using products that people rave about all the time, so the breakouts seemingly happened out of nowhere. A good friend of mine told me, “Hey, maybe you’re just going too overboard and you just need a simpler routine.” 

Prior to her advice, I was trying a crazy amount of skincare products, like snail essence, BHA/AHA, and clarifying treatments, hoping one of them would get my breakouts under control. But lo and behold, they only made things worse. So, just a quick PSA to all the folks out there: Don’t bombard your face with new products even if they have really good reviews when your skin is already going through it. After taking my friend’s advice, I made my skincare routine a tad bit simpler and gave my skin some time to breathe, which really helped my face improve. I wanted to share my current night time skincare regimen in hopes that maybe it could help people who are also going through it!

Step 1: Cleanse.

Photo by Anna Tarazevich from Pexels

Currently, I use the Acne Facial Cleanser from the Korean brand Pyung Kang Yul. Even though it’s an acne cleanser, which is supposed to be more drying than a typical cleanser, I notice that this one is really gentle on my combination skin. It glides on smoothly, and I don’t get that tight and dry feeling that many acne cleansers have given me in the past. On top of that, it’s pretty affordable compared to other Korean skincare products at a price of $10.

Step 2: Tone.

After cleansing, it’s important to bring back some hydration and moisture to the face. I like using the Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner because it feels super lightweight and hydrating. Before this product, I used the COSRX clarifying treatment toner that had great reviews, but it always left my face feeling really tacky. It never dried completely, and I personally don’t like that feeling. The Klairs toner dries quickly and still works amazingly under my other products.

Step 3 (Optional): Rub aloe vera plant on your face.

About every other night, I cut some aloe vera plant into small pieces and rub it all over my face as if it were a mask. I noticed that doing this helped my skin calm down a lot. Before, I was exfoliating my face every other night and doing a sheet mask, which in hindsight was way too strong for my skin. You don’t have to do this step if you don’t want to, but I think this might be one of the main reasons why my face started to clear up. 

Step 3: Moisturize.

cottonbro via Pexels

After toning, I go in with some moisturizer, and I use the Innisfree Jeju Cherry Blossom Lotion. This lotion is also very lightweight and dries quickly. When I first got this lotion, I thought it was going to be a thick and heavy consistency, but thankfully, it wasn’t. It dries super quickly and does its job. A little goes a long way, and it definitely isn’t good for the days when you want extra hydration, but for an everyday moisturizer, it works really well. Sometimes I add a couple drops of vitamin C to the moisturizer so I can brighten up my complexion, but that’s also not necessary.

This is my whole skincare routine and it only takes me five to six minutes to complete. It’s simple and quick, which turns out to be exactly what my skin needs. For all the folks who are currently experiencing crazy breakouts and nothing seems to be working, try giving your skin a breather and keeping things simple! It definitely worked for me, so hopefully it will work for you.

Tiffany Huang

UC Berkeley '22

Tiffany is a fourth year undergraduate at UC Berkeley, pursuing a degree in Media Studies. She holds a passion in writing and loves looking into anything relating to beauty, lifestyle, and pop culture. When Tiffany is not preoccupied by any work, you can typically catch her hanging out with her friends and family or discovering new movies, tv shows, and music to binge. Tiffany is eager about sharing her thoughts on relatable topics that you could possibly resonate with or get a good laugh out of it.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.