How to Dress for Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

You’re finally here. Your parents have just dropped you and your boxes off and you can hardly contain yourself as you shove ‘em out the door. You meet your roommates and hall mates and start to make plans to go out that night. Once you step foot onto frat row, you find yourself lost amid a myriad of students thinking, how does everyone know which house to go to? Do I even remember how to make it home? Later at your lectures, which you were once so excited for, you find yourself lurking towards the back, shy and nervous of the daunting task of picking who to sit next to. Reality sets in and you realize its time to find some friends.

You’ve heard about sororities and fraternities from friends and family back home and think about signing up for recruitment. At orientation, you realize- wait, there’s a dress code? Did I even pack appropriate clothes? What if it’s the wrong season? Does everyone wear designers?

I’m here to tell you RELAX. The dress code is mainly enforced to keep traditional aspects of the process alive. I’ve provided some suggestions with help from the www.calgreeks.com guidelines. Do not worry about wearing the “wrong season” or designer because the recruitment process is based on substantive conversations and connections made at each of the houses, NOT on your outfits.

INSIDER TIP: Wear flip flops when walking to the houses during recruitment and bring heels or nice shoes in your purse that you will wear inside the house when you meet the girls. All of your personal belongings will be left outside, so no one will ever know that you wore sandals ;)

Unity Day, Saturday August 25

At the first day of recruitment, you’ll be joined with your recruitment counselor in visiting all 12 sororities in an all-day event. The first day is the most casual, so I recommend cute shorts or a skirt, and if it’s cold, jeans are suitable. Since the 12 houses span a large surface area of campus, I suggest wearing flat COMFORTABLE sandals. 

House Tours, Sunday August 26

Because it is the second day, you’ll still have a chance to go to up to nine chapter events. Because you’re now touring houses, the attire is a bit more formal than Unity day, so pick out your go-to sundress and again- COMFORTABLE shoes. You don’t want to be feeling those blisters at every staircase you tour! Wedges or sandals are always a nice touch. 

Philanthropy Night, Tuesday August 28

After a day off, you’ll be headed to up to six houses, hearing about their individual philanthropy and community service efforts. The attire for this night is business casual, so think of a dress you would wear to a family dinner or brunch. Heels or nice flats will work for this night. 

Preference Night, Wednesday August 29

Preference Night is the last time that you will visit the chapters as a potential new member. You will visit up to three chapter events on this night. This is the most formal night of recruitment. Appropriate attire would be semi formal: think of re-wearing one of your high school dance dresses (unless they’re floor-length). Because this is a formal process, I would always err on the side of conservative. Think of it like an interview- would you wear your Saturday night outfit to an interview for a future organization? Then don’t wear it to formal recruitment. 

Remember to be yourself and to have fun!!

Sources used: www.polyvore.com for clothing inspiration and www.calgreeks.com for recruitment schedule and dress code.

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.