This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Recently, I’ve fallen in love with watching extreme room makeovers on YouTube. Video after video, I’ve noticed a trend in the types of purchases necessary for that perfect minimalistic, aesthetically pleasing room. If you’re anything like me, you’ve been itching to create a space just like the dream bedrooms in those videos. Inspired by the amazing transformations, here are my tips for achieving your ideal room makeover:

Step 1: Clean and declutter.

Before doing any sort of decorating or rearranging, it’s important to start with a clean slate. This means going on a deep cleaning and decluttering spree. Make sure to go through every nook and cranny, and don’t forget to tackle that growing pile of clothes in your closet.

Step 2: Choose a color scheme.

Most people stick with the all-white color scheme because it’s the popular aesthetic at the moment. Oftentimes, they add gold or black accents around the room for some spice. Alternatively, YouTubers sometimes feature both white and earthy wood tones in their color palette, which I really enjoy.

white and rose gold bedside table lamp next to bed with plant
Photo by Burst from Pexels

Step 3: Pick out a desk and bed frame.

Simple and minimalist is super trendy nowadays. In nearly every Pinterest or Tiktok-inspired room makeover video, a quick trip to IKEA is a must. People love a standard white or light wood bed frame and desk. Others repurpose what they already have by simply painting it. Nothing like a good upcycling moment. 

Step 4: Invest in new bed sheets and decorative pillows.

This step is where people begin to add pops of color into their rooms. Purchase a simple or solid-colored bed sheet, and pair it with some colorful throw pillows of your choice. It’s important to keep a color scheme in mind so that everything looks cohesive and appealing to the eye. 

Step 5: Buy some real (or fake) tropical plants.

Having plants run down your walls (without going overboard) really adds some liveliness to your room. The white walls bring out the green in the plants, and it just looks super aesthetically pleasing.

Plants in fun pots on a shelf
Photo by Prudence Earl from Unsplash

Step 6. Decorate however your heart desires.

Get creative here! This is where people start to add their own personal touches to their room which, in my opinion, is where the fun really happens. Some people put up geometric-shaped mirrors, polaroid pictures, fairy lights, flowers, and posters on their walls to add some more depth and color. Other good ideas I’ve seen include purchasing a cute rug, throw blanket, or chair to make the room feel more cozy. Don’t forget to keep your color scheme in mind!

And there you have it, a simple yet aesthetically pleasing room fit for your Pinterest board! Happy decorating!

Tiffany Huang

UC Berkeley '22

Tiffany is a fourth year undergraduate at UC Berkeley, pursuing a degree in Media Studies. She holds a passion in writing and loves looking into anything relating to beauty, lifestyle, and pop culture. When Tiffany is not preoccupied by any work, you can typically catch her hanging out with her friends and family or discovering new movies, tv shows, and music to binge. Tiffany is eager about sharing her thoughts on relatable topics that you could possibly resonate with or get a good laugh out of it.
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.