This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

If you’re an environmentally conscious lover of skincare and makeup, as I am, you’ve probably heard the murmurs of an ugly side. Microplastics in our exfoliant. Coral reef-killing chemicals in our sunscreen. Whispers that the beauty industry is polluting the planet and contributing billions of units in waste.  

It’s obvious why the fashion industry has garnered a negative reputation amongst environmentalists. However, most people fail to realize the extent to which the beauty industry exacerbates pollution. In an article for Mint titled “Unseen 2019: The ugly side of beauty waste,” Vasudha Rai states that “beauty pollution, though smaller in volume, is highly insidious.” Rai then lists the major ways that the beauty industry pollutes our planet: microplastics glittering on our shores, the oxybenzone in sunscreens damaging our coral reefs, and the palm oil found in 70% of cosmetics necessitating extensive deforestation. 

Rai furthermore points out that while “brands such as Prada, Adidas, and Zara have come together to form The Fashion Pact to work towards sustainability goals, big beauty brands are yet to come together for a collaborative push.” Essentially, the fashion industry has admitted its part in the pollution of our planet. The same can’t be said yet for the beauty industry. 

Fortunately, it’s not all doom and gloom. Rai asserts that “it’s a collective responsibility. As consumers, we must use less and recycle more.” By taking measured steps towards “greening” our skincare routine, we can all reduce our consumption and therefore our pollution. In fact, you’ll find that most environmentally-friendly skincare practices are actually better for your skin. 

Here are my favorite tips for “greening” your skincare routine:

Apply moisturizer on damp skin.

Moisturizing damp skin allows you to utilize less product while still gaining its moisturizing benefits! Using fewer products will result in fewer purchases over time, thus reducing your consumption. Additionally, applying moisturizer on damp skin has benefits! In an Insider article titled, “Here’s why you should moisturize 3 seconds after washing your face,”  Joshua Zeichner, MD, states, “Studies have shown that applying a moisturizer immediately after bathing results in greater hydration of the skin compared to delayed moisturizing.” So apply your moisturizer on damp skin—it saves product and will better hydrate your skin!

Consider choosing products that can be refilled.

Deodorants, shampoo, conditioner, and even toothpaste are just a few of the many products that are now being marketed as refillable! Single-use plastic is widely considered the main perpetrator of plastic pollution, so if you can adopt any method that reduces your single-use waste, it will have a positive impact on the environment. Loop is a great starting point for people interested in navigating the world of refillable products. 

Always use ‘til you run out, then reach for a new product. 

While this idea is pretty simple, it is very effective. If you were to open your skincare cupboard, how many half-empty bottles of tinctures and creams would you find? If you’re not Hyram, it’s really not necessary to have multiple moisturizers at the same time. You’ll forget about them and they’ll likely expire and then they’ll collect dust in your cupboard. Always wait until you’re running out of a product before buying a replacement!

Do away with makeup wipes. For good. 

Makeup wipes are without a doubt the “skincare” product I despise the most. They’re essentially a single-use waste product that completely fails at its only purpose, which is to remove makeup. Wipes are obnoxiously drenched in fragrant chemicals, some of them have microplastic beads, and they succeed in only irritating your skin and polluting the planet. Instead, consider more effective options. Cleansing balms are a great product at removing makeup, or makeup removing cloths that can be washed and reused hundreds of times. 

While this isn’t a definitive list, by implementing some of these tips into your routine, you can reduce your consumption and pollution to strive for a more sustainable beauty industry. 

Viveca Ganti

UC Berkeley '25

Viveca is a sophomore at UC Berkeley studying Molecular Cell Biology. In her free time, she loves producing funky music on GarageBand, writing silly short stories, and exploring restaurants at Berkeley with her friends!