Grab Some Dinner at Off the Grid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Good and cheap food can be hard to come by, but Off the Grid is here to change that. The Bay Area based company hosts weekly food truck fairs in the greater Bay Area. Started in 2010, the company has grown rapidly and hosts 12 food truck fairs around the Bay Area weekly including locations in North Berkeley, the Presidio in San Francisco and the Upper Haight district in San Francisco.

Their latest spot to set up camp? A short walk from campus at the corner of Telegraph Ave. and Haste St! The trucks gather on a block closed to street traffic on Haste. You can expect between 8 and 10 trucks; Off the Grid works with over 45 different vendors (some local restaurants or eateries who have expanded into the food truck and some of the grub you can only score from the food truck) and rotates different vendors at each of their weekly markets. Each week offers something different and new.

During my dinner at the festival, my friends and I shared a variety a dishes from different trucks! The standout was from Five Ten Burger- rich, juicy and delicious! Also, make sure not to miss one of the few dessert trucks (usually at least one makes an appearance at each festival)! We enjoyed a classic crème brulee- delicious! Although it was not at last week’s fair, Kara’s Cupcakes offers the perfect sweet treat to finish off your meal! With a graham cracker crust, moist chocolate cake and meringue frosting, Kara’s smore’s cupcake is truly one of a kind.

The vibe at Off he Grid is mellow with local bands playing live music. Most people get their food, find somewhere to perch on the sidewalk and enjoy the atmosphere. And of course, hit the crème brulee truck for dessert! Off the Grid is the perfect choice for a low key Thursday night dinner!

Off the Grid: Southside Berkeley at Telegraph is held on Thursday evenings from 5-9pm. More info can be found at Off the Grid’s website.

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.