For Freshmen: New Roots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

The first time I called my dorm at UC Berkeley “home,” I didn’t mean it. I had just gotten dinner with my roommates and I was tired from having moved in earlier that day so I told them, “Let’s go home.” I was mentally and physically drained, and overcome with loneliness despite being surrounded by thousands of my classmates. My heart was still in the house I grew up in, with my mom’s beef stew and my cat, Barack, and my high school friends. All I could do was acknowledge that my life had irreversibly changed, and figure out how to adapt.

This is not to say that I wasn’t excited for college. I was, and still am, more than ecstatic to  begin life as an independent adult and learn all the secrets of, well, adulting. My classes would be nothing like I expected, I would follow a path I didn’t plan. And I attached myself to this idea of adventure and discovery, but I also mourned the circumstances––everything familiar and comforting that I was leaving behind.

If you’re a freshman reading this, chances are you’re like me––you have a group of friends or a few close ones from back home who you can’t believe you won’t be seeing every day from here on out. You may have friends who you weren’t close with until you realized you should’ve branched out more in high school. And there are those classmates who you may never see again. At some point, you’ll realize that your family, wherever they may be, are too far away.

But, if you’re like me, you’ve befriended your roommates, become connected with others at orientation and social gatherings, and maybe you’ve even started to identify the crowd you want to be with. You’ve known these people for a week, but you feel you’ve started to put down new roots. Before experiencing this myself, it was easy to forget how quickly these new bonds can form when I was wrapped up in feeling isolated and alone. Again, it’s been a week, but now I mean it when I want to go “home” back to my dorm, in which my roommates and I have nested particularly messily in, but everything is still where it should be. I’ve learned that we, as humans, thrive on connection with others and our surroundings, and I think it’s amazing how readily we are able to adapt to change to find it––it only makes sense that this is how we most easily survive.

Sala T

UC Berkeley

Sala is a freshman at UC Berkeley in the College of Letters and Science, and a rookie writer for Her Campus.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.