Freehouse: Not Your Typical Burger and Beer Joint

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

When you first walk into Freehouse, the first thing that strikes you is its warm and simple, yet luxurious interior, with a wooden beamed high ceiling, grand fireplace, and a sprawling mahogany bar. The beverages and food at this new Berkeley establishment are just as impressive.

Freehouse offers a full bar as well as an incredibly wide range of both whiskey and beer at reasonable prices: $6 for 2.5 shots and $5 for one beer on draft. With seven different kinds of draft beers, from Belgian style to India Pale Ale, and an even larger variety of bottled beer, you are sure to find something that suits your taste. If the beverage selection is not enough to brag about, the food certainly is. For appetizers, you can choose from Beer Poached Mussels, Mac n’ Cheese with cheddar pilsner sauce, or delicious Hand Cut Fries which comes with a roasted garlic aioli, among even more starter options. For the main course, there are a variety of sandwiches, from the Freehouse Grass Fed Burger to the Grilled Loch Duart Salmon (all range from $9-$12). If you’re not in the mood for a “bite between bread,” the Steak Frites, Freehouse Chicken Salad, and the Cider Brined Pork chop are all very tempting.

For dessert, there are several delectable options. I highly recommend the Guinness Float. You may be thinking that beer and ice cream is a gross combo, but once you try it, I guarantee you’ll change your mind. In true Berkeley style, Freehouse aims to be environmentally conscious and proudly offers sustainably sourced products whenever possible. Whether you’re hankering for a refreshing beer, or hungry for a full-blown meal, Freehouse is Berkeley’s best new dining option.

Freehouse is located on the corner of Bancroft Way and College Avenue, across the street from Caffe Strada. Visit their website for more details.

photo source

Elizabeth is a senior majoring in American Studies with a concentration in consumer behavior at the University of California, Berkeley. You'll find her at the pool swimming with the Cal club water polo team or running through campus training for the next half marathon. In addition to an active lifestyle, Elizabeth loves to keep up to date with the latest tech trends and is always looking for a new recipe to try out! Elizabeth hopes to pursue a career in public relations and marketing after graduation.