Life > Experiences

FOUR EVENTS ALL CAL STUDENTS SHOULD ATTEND THIS SEMESTER

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

With everyone back on campus and classes in full swing, the start of the semester is equally as overwhelming as it is exciting. If you’re looking for ways to connect with the Berkeley community or need a break from the academic stress of a new semester, add these events to your calendar for a well-deserved study break. 

#1 – CAL FOOTBALL GAME

Whether you’re a big sports fan or just looking for a fun weekend activity with your friends, going to a football game is a great way to feel more connected with the Cal community. Take a peek at the game schedule and try to fit at least one home game into your plans this fall semester. If you’re a fan of school rivalries, you’ll be happy to know that the Big Game between Cal and Stanford will be hosted at Memorial Stadium this year!

#2 – STUDENT UNION CRAFTER DARK EVENT 

If you prefer arts and crafts over sports, check out one of the Crafter Dark events hosted by UC Berkeley’s Student Union. Held in the MLK Jr. Student Union building, past events have included everything from succulent pot painting to wreath making during Christmas. These events are free for all Cal students, but make sure to show up on time to get your crafting fix before supplies run out! 

#3 – CALAPALOOZA

Calapalooza is UC Berkeley’s huge bi-annual club fair on Upper and Lower Sproul. With up to 600 student organizations in attendance, Calapalooza is an amazing opportunity to connect with groups you’re interested in and meet like-minded people. This year, Calapalooza will be hybrid, with two days of virtual events (September 6th-7th) and one in-person day (September 8th). The past few years have even had llamas in attendance.

#4 – THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW AT THE UC THEATRE

Located on University Avenue just a block from campus, the UC Theatre hosts a variety of live performances, from musical groups of every genre to comedy and theater troupes. On Halloween this year, the UC Theatre will be putting on a screening of the Rocky Horror Picture Show along with a live cast, Barely Legal. Whether you’re a fan of the cult classic or a first-timer, this is a night out at the movies with a twist that you won’t want to miss out on. 

Whether you’re searching for fun events to attend with your friends, ways to connect with other students, or simply something to look forward to amidst projects, assignments, and exams, don’t forget to add these four events to your calendar!

Sophia Stockton

UC Berkeley '24

Sophia is a junior at UC Berkeley, where she is currently studying sociology and psychology. Originally from San Diego, Sophia spends most of her free time at the beach, listening to music, cooking, or taking photos.