This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Looking forward to the coming year, the anticipation is building within the cinema. Prepare your popcorn and grab a seat because 2018 is going to be an exceptional year for film. With movies like Logan, Wonder Woman, and Beauty and the Beast dominating the box office last year, blockbusters are sure to be huge hits in 2018. However, unexpected and unique flicks, like Get Out and Baby Driver, captured the attention of audiences across the world. As Black Panther ‒ which is arriving at theatres this holiday weekend ‒ is already making waves for its action-packed plot and star-studded cast, let’s take a look at the most anticipated films coming out in the upcoming year!

1. A Wrinkle in Time: With stars like Oprah Winfrey and Reese Witherspoon, this film is sure to catch the attention of audiences with all different tastes. Based on a 1962 sci-fi novel about a young girl’s journey to save her father from a far-off land, Disney is breathing life into the tale. With a fleet of Hollywood’s finest leading ladies, this vibrant retelling is sure to excite children and adults alike!

popcorn
Pixabay

2. Love, Simon: Each year, there are countless romantic teen comedy-drama revealed that seem to all follow the same old formula. However, Love, Simon breaks this mold. Simon, a closeted gay high-school student faces a blackmailer, threatening to out him to the entire school. Starring Nick Robinson from Jurassic World and Katherine Langford from 13 Reasons Why, this drama is sure to be anything but ordinary!

3. Avengers: Infinity War: Marvel films need no introduction. For an entire decade, the Marvel cinematic universe has been building up to this film. With the Avengers facing the villainous Thanos from a universe beyond, the team, including Iron Man, Captain America, and Black Widow, is facing one of its most powerful enemies. Fans are expecting exciting battles, unexpected adventure, and a Marvel movie unlike any that came before it.

4. The Incredibles 2: After fourteen years, The Incredibles are coming to life once again. Directed by Brad Bird and featuring voice-work from Holly Hunter and Samuel L. Jackson, the film is sure to be one for the books. In 2004, The Incredibles introduced audiences to this surprisingly-relatable superhero family. Over a decade later, the world can’t wait for this spectacular sequel.

Pixar Animation Studios

5. Halloween: Horror movies hardly ever super anticipated, as the genre is not as universal. . . BUT this upcoming American slasher film is the eleventh installment in the Halloween franchise, picking up forty years after the events of the original film. Starring Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode, who battled Michael Myers on the big screen for the first time over 40 years ago. This latest installment promises thrills and edge-of-your-seat excitement!

7. Ocean’s 8: 2018 is a year to celebrate women and promote “girl power,” and Ocean’s 8 does exactly this. As an all-female spin-off of the Ocean’s Eleven film series, which focuses on the planning and execution of major heists, this film promises a new take on a classic. With an all-star cast of Sandra Bullock, Anne Hathaway, Sarah Paulson, Mindy Kaling, and EVEN Rihanna, tickets are going to be selling quick!

8. Solo: A Star Wars Story: Must I even describe this highly-anticipated blockbuster? With Star Wars: The Last Jedi topping the box office in Christmas of 2017, this flick is expected to bring hordes of people into the theatres. It tells of the adventures of a young Han Solo and his old pal, Chewie. With a unique release-date on May 25th of this year, the epic is sure to stand out!

After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.