This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

In the midst of midterm season, it’s safe to say that purchasing Halloween costumes has been at the bottom of the to-do list for many of us. Now that the holiday is right around the corner, many costumes are either sold out or won’t get delivered by Halloween weekend. This is the perfect opportunity to dig through your closet and make your own costume!

Here are some easy DIY Halloween costume ideas:

A “Deviled-Egg”

Materials needed: A white shirt, yellow construction paper, devil horns

Instructions: Take a piece of yellow paper and cut out a large circle (this will be the egg yolk). Tape or glue the “yolk” onto your white shirt. Then, put on your devil horns, and voila! You’ve nailed the ultimate play-on-words costume.

A “Frat Boy”

Materials Needed: Sports jersey and/or white button-up shirt, spandex or shorts, baseball hat, sunglasses, brown/black eyeliner

Instructions: Poke fun at pledge attire with this DIY frat boy costume. Out on a backward hat, sports jersey or button-up, and shorts. Take your eyeliner and draw on some facial hair and don’t forget a red solo cup! This funny ‘fit makes for a great group costume and is bound to make the brothers laugh.

Character from “The Matrix”

Materials Needed: All black clothing, sunglasses, hair gel

Instructions: Transform into a girlboss from the movie “The Matrix” by dressing in all black (bonus points for a leather trench coat). Then, take some hair gel and apply generously, combing your hair back to create a sleek effect. Pop on some dark sunglasses and you’re good to go!

Dr. Suess’s “Thing 1 and Thing 2”

Materials Needed: Red skirt or pants, red top, white construction paper, black sharpie, blue wig

Instructions: For a last-minute BFF costume, transform into Thing 1 and Thing 2 from Dr. Suess’s “The Cat in the Hat.” The outfit is simple: Wear all red! Then, take a piece of white construction paper and cut out a large circle; from there, write “Thing 1” or “Thing 2” on the paper. Tape or glue the circle onto your red top of choice. Finally, complete the look with a blue wig or blue hairspray!

A “Drama Queen”

Materials Needed: A nice dress (literally any old homecoming or formal dress will do), a crown or tiara, mascara

Instructions: Slip on a fancy dress and a crown or tiara. Then, take mascara and apply it right underneath your eyes to get the “crying” effect, and you’re done!

These five Halloween costumes are simple, relatively easy to make, and creative. No one will even know they were thrown together last minute! Happy Halloween!

Katelyn Kolberg

UC Berkeley '25

Hi!! I’m Katelyn and I’m currently a freshman at UC Berkeley. I love writing about the role that fashion plays in our society; I plan to enter the editorial realm of the fashion industry! Besides writing, I love thrifting, grabbing coffee, and conversing with other young writers!