This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

With the shift from in-person to online classes, many of us have discovered new ways to embarrass ourselves. Here’s five Zoom mishaps from anonymous students that range from funny to OMG:

#1: “OK, I was on this Zoom call for chem and I was unmuted, and I didn’t realize and so I started screaming because there was a bug in my coffee. They stopped the presentation until I was done. I felt so bad.”

macbook pro and coffee mug on a table top
Photo by Andrew Neel from Unsplash

#2: “So I was in my chem class, which is really hard and the professor isn’t the best, and I private messaged someone I know saying, ‘Do you have any freaking idea what is happening in this class?’ But right after I hit enter, I realized I sent it to everyone. All 321 people in my class, as well as my professor, saw it. And to make it worse, my professor goes, ‘Miss ___, please refrain from using the chat like that. It is very discouraging.’”

#3: “I was in a class with one of my close friends, and I jokingly private messaged her and said, ‘you tryna f**k after this?’… I later found out that the professor can see all private messages and it was very awkward.”

Anna Schultz-Girls Laughing With Phone
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

#4: “Less than a week ago, I was in my linguistics discussion with maybe 25 people and the GSI was asking us to pronounce some stuff like ‘fuh,’ ‘shuh,’ and like plug our nose to figure out what was nasal. We were out in breakout rooms and people were being weird to me, but I didn’t understand why until I hung up. At the end of the class I realized I wasn’t muted the entire time and had been talking to myself while I was trying to close my blinds and cussing. It was really, really embarrassing, and I don’t know if I’ll ever recover.”

#5: “I was in a Zoom call with my friends playing games before I went to my first class. I forgot that names transfer from call to call, and I entered my first online meeting as ‘The Trashy Cheating Wh*re.’”

Jennifer Brown

UC Berkeley '24

Jenny is a sophomore at UC Berkeley, originally from New York City. At the moment, she intends to major in business and minor in math. She loves fashion, being active, and meeting people (Her Instagram is @jenniferr.brown)
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.