This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

It’s officially cuffing season–don’t try to fight me on this one. There are couples holding hands everywhere and you can’t go to a coffee shop without seeing two people cozying up over a cup of hot chocolate. Okay, maybe that second point is a bit of an exaggeration since it’s been at least 75 degrees every day and who would want to drink hot chocolate in that weather. Couples are everywhere doing every couple activity they can possibly think of; I’m sure they’re taking over your instagram feed too(especially since it is date party season).

For those of you who don’t know-cuffing season is the colder months of fall and winter where people get themselves into relationships. The official timeline via Urban Dictionary is from approximately November first to the day after Valentine’s day. Since there aren’t really seasons at Berkeley cuffing season starts late September-early October; the lack of distinguishing temperature differences really confuses the cuffers. They’re a sappy species, one would suggest to be cautious of reminding them of any gooey-couple related activated or they will gush all over you with SOFT vibes! Be careful, avoid the feels.

Yet, I can’t help but feel as though all of this cuffing is slightly confusing. Who has time to cuff during midterm season? And the beginning of those fall months? That’s when most classes start to get actually in depth and hard. Although I guess you wouldn’t cuff if it was going to affect your GPA that much. How do you have time to be in a relationship or date at this point in your college career? Most of us barely have time to sleep, so if cuffers have any advice feel free to pass it along! There are many ready open ears waiting for you!

However, cuffing season is very much so a real thing; most couples who start dating now will most likely break up before the month of March next year(so if that guy you’ve been really into suddenly has a girlfriend just wait it out a few months). But why is this? Why do relationships begin in the colder months and then sporadically end right before spring? It seems that we-as a species-are more inclined to want a warm body during the holiday months. (See Turkey dump for explanations on why we break up before the holidays).

Regardless of the reasons why cuffing season exists it’s a time to reflect on why you are getting cuffed and if you need to be cuffed. But maybe we can just let everyone be happy and do their thing because after all it’s the second day of Thanksgiving so let’s be thankful that we are flying solo and have more time to study before finals!

UC Berkeley class of 2021. My heart is in the mountains, and with any corgi I see. I'm interested in writing, yoga, running, hiking, boxing, playing piano, music, adventures, and studying psychology and anthropology.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.