COMING-OF-AGE MOVIES THAT GOT THE TEENAGE EXPERIENCE RIGHT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

It’s safe to say that everyone’s teenage years can be a bit rocky. Those awkward years from being a child to becoming an adult are full of tears, happiness, and memorable experiences. Although the transition to becoming an adult can feel isolating, there are plenty of people in the same boat. If you ever felt alone and misunderstood, check out these movies that accurately capture the teenage experience and what it’s like to come of age (don’t worry, there are no spoilers)!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Remember what it was like to be a freshman in high school? Maybe the thought simply makes you cringe. The Perks of Being a Wallflower tells the story of Charlie Kelmeckis, an introverted freshman who is trying to navigate the world around him. This film explores topics like friendships, romantic relationships and mental health. It’s bound to make you laugh, cry and want to give Charlie a hug. 

Booksmart

Not everyone is a partier in high school and that’s okay, but sometimes feelings of FOMO come up. In this film, seniors Amy and Molly are soon-to-be high school graduates but realize they’ve missed out on the high school experience and try to make up for it the night before graduation. Get ready to watch two studious best friends take on a night that involves everything but studying. 

The Edge of Seventeen

No one wants to be a third wheel, but it’s worse when you’re third-wheeling your own brother and best friend. High school junior Nadine is trying to find her place in the world with a slightly dysfunctional family, the loss of her best friend to a relationship and her own awkwardness. Surely, we’ve all been in Nadine’s shoes at one time or another.

Lady Bird

This movie will probably remind you of those teenage moments of fighting with your parents in the kitchen. The only thing Christine, aka “Lady Bird,” wants is independence — to move away from her boring hometown to a big city like New York. However, her dreams conflict with her family’s situation. It’s a film any teen who has ever fought with their parents can relate to.   

Thirteen

Have your parents ever advised you to stay away from the “wrong crowd?” It’s good advice that seventh grader Tracy can testify to. One of the darker coming-of-age movies out there, Thirteen, shows the consequences of getting caught up in the wrong crowd, how friendships can turn into betrayal and the struggles of teenage rebellion in the household. As a movie that contains mature content, watch with caution. 

By now, hopefully, it’s clear that growing up is not a rare experience. It’s common and nowhere near abnormal to feel a plethora of emotions as you navigate adulthood and all its tricks. These movies understand what you’re going through and will hit you right in the feels. So grab some popcorn and tissues and turn on the television!

Sophie Ward

UC Berkeley '24

Sophie is a senior at the University of California, Berkeley, majoring in media studies, with a concentration in digital studies, and minoring in journalism. She is currently the co-editor-in-chief and president of the Berkeley chapter, where she oversees the editorial department. Sophie has experience in journalism, social media, public relations, and all things writing. She enjoys writing listicles, news stories, and personal blogs about college life. After graduating, she aspires to enter the media and communications industry where she can continue writing or editing and share her passion for storytelling. Outside of academics, Sophie enjoys playing with her dogs, taking care of her many plants, or getting a sweet treat with friends.