College Moves Way Too Fast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

With the end of this year right around the corner, and our seniors basically out the door, it’s very apparent that everyone is ready for summer, and that this year needs to come more quickly to a close. It’s dead week, so we’re all either studying or blowing off our work just in time for finals season and the stress of the year is wearing down to this pinnacle moment. With going to such a competitive school, it’s easy during dead week to lock yourself away from your friends and only study and not speak to anyone for the whole week – after all, your grades will be compared to theirs eventually.

Everything is passing by so quickly; all of the opportunities you took and all of the ones you’ve missed, all of the friends you’ve made and all of the friendships you’ve passed by. We’re packed with all of the coursework, the internships, the clubs, the athletics, and just everything that we’re expected to be involved in at this time of our lives – after all, you’re only in college once and you’ll never get the chance to experience these types of opportunities again.

This is all true, and this fast moving pace of life around you will seem to slow slightly after college when you have a real set routine, however, the days of your life won’t stop moving quickly. Instead, the days will all begin to mesh into one, especially if you have a job where you’ll be doing the same types of work everyday over and over and over again. This is the only time in our lives where we have the complete freedom to try to new things each and everyday.

That being said, it’s important to actually go to your classes, as your parents, or the state, or whoever is paying for you to get an education because they want our generation to actually make a difference and accomplish all that we possibly can. Sure, staying in bed is always tempting, but you’ll be wasting everyone’s time if you don’t go and put your best foot forward. At a school like Berkeley where every point towards your final grade matters since we’re all going to be compared to each other eventually whether it’s for that internship or for a final grade you can’t really afford to miss classes, and who knows, you might just learn something.

Everything is moving quickly, and you can either thrive in this lifestyle or crash and burn, it’s really up to you eventually. You can use what you learn now in this fast environment to continue to try new things everyday once you’re an actual adult and have the freedom of an actual job and its benefits. You shouldn’t lose your adventurous spirit just because you’re an adult and you have the real responsibilities of life. There are still hobbies to be tested, and places to travel to, all you have to do is decide to explore and live your life as quickly and easily as the way you are doing right now.

UC Berkeley class of 2021. My heart is in the mountains, and with any corgi I see. I'm interested in writing, yoga, running, hiking, boxing, playing piano, music, adventures, and studying psychology and anthropology.
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.