Campus Celeb: Lexie Ponce

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Lexie is from Atwater, California and is currently a freshman undergraduate here at UC Berkeley!

Lexie picking strawberries on a local farm in Münster, Germany during her 2014 Summer Exchange Program! 

You got accepted to a number of awesome schools. Why did you choose UC Berkeley?

Berkeley is “THE NUMBER ONE PUBLIC UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD!!!!” How could I not choose Cal?

How has your experience at Cal been?

It’s been awful. I have to pass by the beautiful campanile every day, I’m forced to tolerate the 70 degree weather, and I’m 30 minutes from San Francisco. Gross.

What do you like most about Cal?

I really love the diversity here. I hear so many different languages by just listening to the crowds of people I pass by while going to class.

Lexie and other trumpet section members at a Cal football game

What made you decide to be a part of the band?

I really wanted to find a way to become involved, and I was in marching band in high school. It was the perfect fit for me and I couldn’t be happier with my decision.

What is the first memorable experience you can think of that you have had here so far?

I live in the Cal Band housing, Tellefsen Hall, where we have this tradition where someone can get “creeked” if you break a house rule. If you play you your instrument in the house, you have to sit in Strawberry Creek, and guess who played their trumpet in the house….

What are your some of your favorite hobbies?

I enjoy binge watching Gossip Girl on Netflix, knitting, and taking naps. I also love petting my dogs. I have 4 of them!

Lexie graduated from Atwater High School as a valedictorian. Alongside her, is her former Advanced Placement Chemistry teacher, Mr. James Brewer, who is a UC Berkeley alumnus! Go Bears!

What are your plans for this weekend?

I’m going to meet Ashly Perez from Buzzfeed at the Kollaboration SF 6: Artist Showcase.

What has been one of your most life-changing experiences?

I would have to say it  was going to Germany Summer 2014 as a part of the Fresno-Munster Sister Cities Exchange Program! I still keep in contact with my host family and the friends I have made through the program.

Here’s a video of the awesome Cal Band with Lexie playing the trumpet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6DiMM20rXY

Jessica Hou

UC Berkeley

Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.