Campus Celeb: Gregory Peck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Whether we realize it or not, most of us know who Gregory Peck is. He played the iconic Atticus Finch in the film To Kill A Mockingbird, a narrative that’s a staple in most American literature classes. What our generation may not realize is that he also acted in other acclaimed movies, such as Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn. Over the course of his career Peck was nominated for an Oscar five times.

Having been born and raised in San Diego, California, Peck attended San Diego State Teacher’s College for a year, before transferring to UC Berkeley. At Cal he majored in English as a pre-med student, and rowed for the school’s crew team. To help earn money to pay his tuition fees, Peck worked as a kitchen helper in the Gamma Phi Beta sorority. He also became involved in Cal’s Little Theater group, where he developed an interest in acting. Of his time at Berkeley, Peck later stated that, “it was a very special experience for me and three of the greatest years of my life. It woke me up and made me a human.

Ivana Saric

UC Berkeley

I am currently a freshman at UC Berkeley. When not doing homework and studying french, my time is consumed by books, music, and netflix.
Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.