This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

It’s that wonderful time of the semester when all your midterms are in the same week, and you go to Moffitt Library to study, but there’s no seats open. Late nights and early mornings are spent cramming. You’re just trying to get by. It’s very easy to get caught up in routine, but in the midst of it all, don’t forget to remember you are at the No. 1 public university! UC Berkeley is a beautiful campus with so much history. There’s so many traditions to take part in, food to try, and places to explore. If you’re looking for ideas on what to do during your study breaks or on the weekend, here are some things you can add to your Cal bucket list:

Go to the Top of the Campanile 

Did you know that the Campanile is the third-tallest clock and bell tower in the world? And you can go to the top of the Campanile for free! Enjoy a beautiful view of campus and of the Bay Area during a study break, but just make sure to bring your Cal ID! Open 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Saturdays, and 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Sundays.  

Hike the Fire Trails 

Want to have some time during the weekends and get a good uphill workout in? Strawberry Canyon, most commonly referred to as the Fire Trails, is a great little getaway from campus to help clear your mind and get some nice views. The trail starts near the intersection of Dwight Way and Sports Lane. Remember to drink plenty of water, apply sunscreen, and be aware of your surroundings.

Rent a Kayak 

At the UC Aquatic Center at the Berkeley Marina, you can register to take kayaking or windsurfing lessons and then rent the equipment for free! Check the Berkeley Recreation and Wellbeing website for availability, hours, and registration information! 

girl smile happy nature garden packpack hat tshirt
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Spend some time at the Botanical Gardens 

The UC Botanical Garden boasts one of the most diverse landscapes in the world and is home to over 10,000 types of plants. Walk around for a couple minutes or bring some food to eat at a picnic table! Cal students have free admission to the botanical gardens, so be sure to bring your Cal ID. Check the botanical garden website for more information on hours of operation and to see what’s in bloom!

Visit BAMPFA 

If you’re looking for a more indoor activity, BAMPFA is the place for you. The Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive has free admission for Cal students and hosts guided tours, has art exhibits, art making events, and film screenings at reduced prices! 

Many of the activities on the list are free or offered at a reduced rate to Cal students, so keep them in mind the next time you find yourself wanting to explore some new views or learn something new!