Black-Owned Businesses to Support This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

While educating yourself on systemic racism and attending protests is a great step in pushing for change in our country, it should not stop there. This year, the pandemic has disproportionately affected Black businesses. So, one way you can directly help the Black community by shopping at Black-owned businesses! This is a great opportunity to amplify and uplift voices in the Black community. With the holiday season in full swing, help combat the Black struggle and spread holiday cheer by shopping at these Black-owned businesses: 

BLKessenceco

This year, our talented Her Campus member Chantel Wilson founded BLKessenceco, a luxury candle company that specializes in hand-poured candles. These vegan, organic candles are not only cruelty-free, but they are infused with natural fragrances such as virgin coconut soy wax. These candles are absolutely perfect for the Holiday season as they are made with crackling wooden wicks that mimic a fireplace. Check out their limited edition holiday collection!

UNWRP

UNWRP was founded in 2017 by Ashley L. Fouyolle when she used her love for art and fashion to create a luxury gift wrap company. Her business is a one-stop shop for all gifting needs from wrapping paper, fabric wraps, greeting cards, and home goods. Upgrade your holiday gift wrapping this year with this eco-friendly brand that was made to be fully recyclable. 

Photo by Porapak Apichodilok from Pexels

Southern Girl Dessserts

Launched in 2007, Southern Girl Desserts is co-owned by Catarah Coleman and Shoneji Robison and specializes in Southern-inspired cupcakes and desserts. They honor their family’s homemade recipes by baking comfort food that ships nationwide. Even celebrities such as Mariah Carey, Misty Copeland, and Denzel Washington expressed their love for Southern Girl Desserts! 

Juvia’s Place

Chichi Eburu launched Juvia’s Place in 2016 with the intention of creating makeup suitable for all skin tones. As one of the most popular Black-owned brands in the world, they are known for their pigmented, vibrant eyeshadow palettes and an inclusive line of foundation. 2.5 million Instagram followers later, you can now find Juvia’s Place on the shelves of Ulta Beauty stores!

black makeup palette
Siora Photography/Unsplash

The Honey Pot Company

Beatrice Dixon founded The Honey Pot Company, a natural feminine care product line that is made by women and is plant-based. The products range from natural washes, wipes, tampons, panty sprays, pads, lubricants, and other herbal products. Not only do you help the Black community by buying their care line, but you also provide menstrual care to homeless women!

Even if you don’t gift these to loved ones, you can always pamper yourself and buy them for you! You will do a great service by supporting the Black community and doing your holiday shopping at these businesses this year.

Halle Antoine

UC Berkeley '22

Halle is a Senior at UC Berkeley majoring in Media Studies with a minor in Creative Writing. She is passionate about racial justice issues in which she hopes to help the community as a tennis coach and in her articles. When not on the tennis courts, you can find her listening to K Pop or watching Disney movies!
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.