Back To School Cutie: Jackson Rees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As we begin another school year, Golden Bears must bid farewell to summer and welcome the fall semester with sun-kissed skin and fresh new outfits. Admittedly, we have never looked so good. Among the head-turners on campus is junior Jackson Rees— a political science major with a passion for the outdoors and all things Taylor Swift-related. With wavy blonde hair rivaling 1990’s Brad Pitt, a quirky sense of humor, and unwavering dedication to his academics, Rees sets the bar for Cal cuties on campus during the first week of classes. Here’s a bit about him:

Name: Jackson Rees     

Hometown: Big Bear, California    

Relationship status: Single    

Year: Junior    

Major: Political Science   Minor: French and Ethnic Studies

What are a few of your hobbies/ interests? Long Walks on the beach and moon lit staring contests…just kidding. I would have to say listening to and making music, playing sports especially soccer and basketball, talking current events, and hanging with family and friends.  

What three words describe you best? Fun, inspired, and compassionate.

What’s something about you that most people don’t know? I love listening to Taylor Swift. Like, It’s moved from the guilty pleasure that I’d do alone, to me blatantly bumping it in my apartment and singing, much to my housemate’s enjoyment.

What lead you to minoring in ethnic studies? To fulfill my American Cultures requirement, I took a class on protest movements of the 60’s with the Ethnic Studies Department, and it completely opened my eyes to so many realizations about American history and society that had never occurred to me.

What do you look for in a date? Someone who is active and up for whatever, fun to be around and likes to laugh, caring but independent. She’d probably have all of her teeth too…

Describe your idea of the perfect date: It would probably start with a hike or something outdoors, then coming back home to cook dinner and listen to music. That would be pretty chill!

Who is your celebrity crush? I’d have to say the model Barbara Palvin because I think she is gorgeous, but the thing is I literally know nothing about her personality. So in my head I like to pretend she is into talking politics and stupid jokes.

Where would you take a date in Berkeley? During the day, probably out to Tilden Park, but if it were at night, dinner at Cheeseboard. 

Would you rather take a date hiking to the Big C, or a romantic dinner for two at Giovanni’s? Well I’ve never been to Giovanni’s, so I’ll have to check that out sometime, but probably up to the Big C because the view is amazing, and I’ve had some of the best conversations up there. 

This summer, you had the opportunity to partake in Cal in the Capital. How was your experience? Out of control! DC is awesome, the friends I made from Berkeley are some of the most interesting I’ve ever known, and I have some stories that sound straight out of a movie; as cliché as that sounds.

What did your summer away from Cal consist of? Monuments, museums, political debates at 3 a.m., legal documents, partying with my boss on his boat, and a ton of really fun people trying to change the world.

What are your career goals after graduating? Up until this summer I was thinking about doing Law School, but now I think I’m going back to Washington DC and do all I can to get involved with some think tanks or work on the hill. From there, I’d like to work my way up into a position that I could influence progress.

C.R.E.A.M. or Ici? This is kind of embarrassing, but I still haven’t been to Ici…however I am all about that CREAM life!

What are you thoughts on being nominated for HC’s Campus Cutie? I’m stoked! When I heard I was like: “Finally, someone other than myself thinks I’m cute!”

Megan Ronan

UC Berkeley

Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.