This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

For some mysterious reasons, most of the people think that being a feminist means that a person wants all males to die. That is not actually the truth. If you met a woman, and she was mad at you, it did not mean that she has been one of the feminists, it meant that probably you had made her very upset in the past. In this case, I would suggest you run away from her in order to save your life. It is a huge mistake to generalize your experience with the opposite sex and conclude based on that, but we all do that. That is why the prejudices about feminism and people who support it exist. I am one of those people… Tam Tam Tam Taaaaam.

Yes, I am a feminist, but it does not mean that I am going to prosecute men because of their sex and privileges that they got and have used throughout the history. I do not hate them. I envy them. Unfortunately, I am not that lucky. I am a girl, and I would like not to face the reality where the risk to be assaulted and experience sexual harassment is so high for representatives of my sex. I would like not to hear that women’s duties are to have children, take care of them and clean the home. I would like to get accepted to Hogwarts, but, unfortunately, these are all just dreams, except the last one (I am still waiting). The world where everybody is equal and can live without any fear or oppression is something that we all deserve, and this is the goal of supporters of feminism. According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, feminism is “the theory of political, economic, and social equality of the sexes”. I am a feminist because I want the equality for all of us. What about you? Do you want it?

A passionate and sarcastic writer-poet.
After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!