This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

What is to be considered in the question of the American Dream is whether or not the concept is an attainable goal for anyone or if the American Dream is restricted by nature to those that are already privileged. Does the pursuit of hard work truly lend itself to the affluence, success, and happiness that we seek? Is our effort contained in barriers depending on the circumstances of our race? Is the pursuit of the American Dream a futile uneven race in which some individuals are destined to win and others are encouraged into vain pursuit?

If we are in positions of natural or granted privilege, how is it that we should go about recognizing them? Should complacency be the approach to privilege?

These are all questions that I have been dwelling on. The majority of research on racial disparities in the past two years have shown that the racial wealth gap is not cured by education as we are all led to believe. A paper published from Duke indicates that the American Dream is a myth, that greater educational attainment does not lead to closing the racial wealth gap. Data gathered in the research suggests that

“White households with a bachelor’s degree or post- graduate education (such as with a Ph.D., MD, and JD) are more than three times as wealthy as black households with the same degree attainment.

Moreover, on average, a black household with a college-educated head has less wealth than a white family whose head did not even obtain a high school diploma.” -Duke University

The statistics above illustrate that both the social and structural inequality as a result of race has yet to be dismantled. For one to claim that there is no benefit or cost in correlation to being of a certain race is naive. In reality, we may be hesitant to face the idea that for a power to be evenly distributed, the ones holding the power are the ones that have the ability to determine the direction of society. For the minorities that have dealt with the constant uphill battle against racial discrimination in this society, your efforts have been valuable as seen in the Civil Rights Movement. However, the truth is that because the tables are turned against minorities, change will need to come from those in places of privilege. And that, requires recognizing, first and foremost, exactly what privileges have been freely given to you and then deciding whether or not you trust that all should have those same freedoms that you take advantage of on a day to day basis.

Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.