This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

If you want to get away from the bustling food scene of the Telegraph/Downtown Berkeley area in exchange for a more small-town vibe, the Elmwood neighborhood is the perfect place to romanticize the lifestyle with many cute and unique shops and restaurants! 

For Breakfast:

• Palm Acai Cafe offers a variety of revitalizing acai bowls, smoothies, and oatmeals! These are best enjoyed after a walk around the Elmwood neighborhood, a hike at the nearby fire trails, or even just as a morning treat! 
  • Boichik Bagels is an amazing option if you’re craving a more savory breakfast. They offer many different types of bagels, cream cheese, and proteins to go with your bagel! Everything is freshly-made and packed with flavor. My personal recommendation is their egg bagel, which is like a fluffier version of the standard bagel. 
  • Starter Bakery is known for their delicious coffee and pastries! It’s great for a quick breakfast run, but also offers plenty of indoor and outdoor seating. Just be sure to avoid peak weekend hours!

For Lunch:

• Humbowl offers nourishing bowls with many vegetarian/vegan options! It has similar vibes to the infamous Cava and Sweetgreen, but their bowls will have you feeling like you just enjoyed a delicious and comforting home-cooked meal. 
  • Casa Barotti specializes in Pizza Al Trancio, a northern Italian version of pizza by the slice, amongst other Italian “street food” specialties! Definitely a great spot for a quick grab-and-go bite. 

For Dinner:

• Yimm Thai is actually a sister restaurant to Downtown Berkeley’s Imm Thai Street Food, but with a more upscale vibe. The food is fresh and flavorful, and the ambience is perfect for a date night or nice outing with friends. The mango sticky rice is also an absolute must!
  • La Mediterranee has an absolutely adorable atmosphere with both indoor and outdoor seating options. Their plates allow you to sample a variety of entrees and sides, and have plenty of vegetarian/vegan options. 
  • The Italian Homemade Company serves fresh, homemade pasta with plenty of pasta types and sauces. It has more of a casual ambience with limited seating, so it may be enjoyed at the restaurant or brought to-go for a picnic at a nearby park!

For a study sesh:

• Philz Coffee is in the perfect location with a scenic street view of College Avenue. They are known for their fun coffee flavors (such as rose and mint mojito) and have tables with outlets perfect for a study session. It does get crowded, so be sure to get there early if you want to secure a seat. 
  • Souvenir Coffee has many seats with a glass storefront for nice natural lighting. They have many drink options, ranging from different types of coffees to matcha and chai. While not technically on College Avenue, it’s close enough to warrant an exploration afterward. Similar to Philz, it tends to get crowded, so I recommend going early to get the perfect study spot. 

For a sweet treat:

• La Farine is another amazing bakery, particularly known for its tarts and morning buns! It’s the perfect spot to pick up a baked good to accompany your stroll around their neighborhood.
  • Humphry Slocombe is an ice cream spot with many unique flavors. If you love your treats to be a flavor experience, this is the place to go! They are most known for their “Secret Breakfast” flavor. 
  • Sunday Bakeshop is another spot with unique flavors, only they’re pastries with an Asian twist! The interior is also very aesthetically pleasing and Instragrammable, so take the opportunity to show off your treats (camera eats first, after all). 

From breakfast to dessert, College Avenue offers a glimpse into the culture and community of the Elmwood neighborhood. Take a stroll, savor the amazing eats, and be charmed by the smalltown ambience.

Lily Moore

UC Berkeley '26

Lily is a sophomore at UC Berkeley double majoring in Economics and Media Studies. She enjoys thrifting, cooking, working out, watching the cheesiest rom coms, and going out to the city or the beach with friends!