A LOOK INTO JEWISH STUDENT LIFE AT UC BERKELEY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

May is Jewish American Heritage Month—a time that means a lot to me and many other students on campus. When I first discovered my Jewish heritage in 7th grade, I had no idea what it would mean in my life. Later, during my first semester at Cal, following the advice of many upperclassmen friends to join organizations, I signed up for a learning fellowship at Berkeley Hillel, the Jewish Student Center on campus. 

That one class brought me into an entire world of culture. I learned so much about Jewish life and kept signing up for new learning opportunities with Hillel. They have provided me and so many other students the chance to discuss and learn about topics that are difficult to find anywhere else. I have met some of my closest friends upon getting involved, and I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world. 

Hillel, along with another integral organization, Chabad, hosts a variety of events every week to ensure that Jewish students on campus have a strong sense of community and belonging. While I can only speak from personal experience at Hillel, I have heard from many of my peers how amazing Chabad is at ensuring all Jewish students have a safe place to be at Cal. 

Some of the many events that my friends and I have attended this year have included a giant party for Purim, a family Seder for Passover, a community barbecue every Wednesday evening, and Shabbat every Friday evening, complete with some of the best food to be found on campus. All the options they provide let students be as involved with Judaism as they want, holding space for all denominations, beliefs, and levels of knowledge. Once you come to the building a few times, it seems like the entire staff knows your name and will say hello to you and ask how life is going. It is near impossible not to have a smile on my face when I walk in the door. 

As I round out my first year of college, I’ve spent most of my dead week lounging on the first floor of Hillel, studying with my friends and peers. It is impossible to overemphasize the importance of such organizations on our college campuses, especially at a time when many Jewish students can feel the rise of antisemitism, which has been at a record high in 2023. This May, I implore you to learn a little bit more about the student cultures at your school who are celebrating their heritage.

Penelope is a second-year Comparative Literature/Theatre and Performance studies Undergraduate student at the University of California, Berkeley. She currently serves as a Digital Editor for Berkeley’s Her Campus chapter. Having experience with writing, design, performance, and communications, Penelope hopes to merge her creative pursuits and expand accessibility and representation in the artistic world. She enjoys writing articles about emotional experiences/milestones, pop culture, and Jewish life; she also has a newly-discovered passion for reading and editing others’ writing. She is looking towards publishing, nonprofit, or media/film work following graduation. Apart from her studies, she loves to play music (especially in Cal Band!), watch rom-coms and sitcoms, immerse herself in books and creative activities, and enjoy good meals with friends.