This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Whether you listen to pop, rock, R&B, or anything in-between, 2017 was a tremendous year for music. WIth classic pop idols like Bruno Mars or Ed Sheeran coming out with new music this year, they dominated the charts. In fact, Shape of You by Ed Sheeran became the most streamed song ever on Spotify, with over 1.32 BILLION streams. However, 2017 also offered newer artists a chance to spread their music and bless our ears with musical masterpieces. Here are 7 artists that you absolutely have to listen to in the new year!

• Camila Cabello: After departing from Fifth Harmony at the very end of 2016, Camila has set herself apart with new music that has captured the attention of music listeners across the globe. With singles like Havana and Never Be the Same in her self-entitled album, Camila, which was released this week, Camila departs from Fifth Harmony’s R&B influences to create a powerful album of fairly understated Latin pop and classic pop ballads. She is rising fast in the charts with her unique voice and songwriting.

Unsplash

• Khalid: Only two years ago, Khalid was a virtually unknown songwriter, making music in high school and posting his early works to SoundCloud. However, In July 2016, he reached number 2 on the Billboard Twitter Emerging Artists chart. With major hits like Location and Silence under his belt in the span of just two years, Khalid is a rising star and a definite addition to any playlist.

• SZA: This R&B artists has been making music for years, but in recent years, she has emerged as a powerhouse on the charts, even collaborating with Maroon 5 for the hit, What Lovers Do. Her voice is sultry and full of soul, making her songs exceptionally fun to listen to.  

Two people listening to music
Via Nicholas Githiri on Pexels

• Luis Fonsi: C’mon. Who hasn’t heard and sung along to the exceptionally catchy tune of Despacito, the song of the summer which seemed to ALWAYS be on the radio (no matter how hard you tried to escape it). With a new song entitled “Échame la Culpa”, featuring Demi Lovato, Luis Fonsi has broken into mainstream pop music, bringing with him the infectious beat and sound of Latino pop.

• Childish Gambino: I’m sure you have heard of the super successful actor, Donald Glover. You know — from Community, The Martian, Spider Man: Homecoming, Solo: A Star Wars Story, and EVEN the new Lion King adaptation. Wait, but don’t you know that he also performs music under the stage name of Childish Gambino. Yes, that’s right — Donald GLover IS Childish Gambino. With the grammy-nominated album, Awaken My Love!, he has become a musical superstar. Talk about a jack of all trades.

Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

• Cardi B: If you haven’t heard of Bodak Yellow, then you must have been living under a rock for the past year. As a regular cast member on the VH1 reality show Love & Hip Hop: New York, she became an internet celebrity on Instagram for her attitude and “realness.” With the hip-hop anthem of the summer, she has dominated the charts, collaborating with Bruno Mars and 21 Savage. She has made quite the name for herself with her catchy tunes and lyrics.

• Julia Michaels: We have all heard of Justin Bieber’s Sorry, Selena Gomez’s Bad Liar, and Britney Spears’ Slumber Party, but did you know that Julia Michaels has writing credits for each song. She’s been writing music for years, but with the breakthrough single, Issues, singing might just be her new calling. Her unique voice is soothing, sweet, and needs to be listened to.

After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!
Melody A. Chang

UC Berkeley '19

As a senior undergraduate, I seek out all opportunities that expand my horizons, with the aim of developing professionally and deepening my vision of how I can positively impact the world around me. While most of my career aims revolve around healthcare and medicine, I enjoy producing content that is informative, engaging, and motivating.  In the past few years, I have immersed myself in the health field through working at a private surgical clinic, refining my skills as a research assistant in both wet-lab and clinical settings, shadowing surgeons in a hospital abroad, serving different communities with health-oriented nonprofits, and currently, exploring the pharmaceutical industry through an internship in clinical operations.  Career goals aside, I place my whole mind and soul in everything that I pursue whether that be interacting with patients in hospice, consistently improving in fitness PR’s, tutoring children in piano, or engaging my creativity through the arts. Given all the individuals that I have yet to learn from and all the opportunities that I have yet to encounter in this journey, I recognize that I have much room and capacity for growth. Her Campus is a platform that challenges me to consistently engage with my community and to simultaneously cultivate self-expression.