Life > Academics

5 THINGS I LEARNED THIS YEAR AS A BERKELEY STUDENT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As another school year comes to an end, it has me thinking about all its memorable moments. Through the fun, stressful, and crazy times, one thing I can certainly say is that I’ve learned many things from this past year at Berkeley. This year came with many life changes and new experiences that have taught me or reinforced what I knew to be true. Here are a few things I’ve learned this past school year:

1. SOME ENDINGS ARE NECESSARY

As hard as it can be to understand at times, certain moments, relationships, friendships, etc, are meant to end when they do. Oftentimes, things, situations, and people can hold you back or restrict you from new experiences. Many endings bring new beginnings you would have never imagined. Personally, I know that there have been times when new opportunities wouldn’t have been possible without first putting an end to something. Endings can be followed by a myriad of emotions, both new and old. Some endings lead us to take a step forward in a different direction or even bring a sense of clarity in some cases. 

2. IT’S OKAY TO PRIORITIZE YOURSELF

At this point in our lives, many of us are balancing school, work, extracurriculars, social, and home life. With each of these coming with responsibilities, taking time out for ourselves is essential. I believe it’s also important to recognize that it’s okay for us to do so. With all of the effort you put into all that you do, it’s okay to devote that same energy and care to yourself. Self-prioritization activities can vary from taking a day off, relaxing with a good show, and spending time with friends and family. Making yourself a priority can lead to a healthier and happier you. 

3. LET GO OF EXPECTATIONS

As college students, we are constantly working towards achieving specific goals. Careful planning goes into creating our schedules and daily routines. Especially after getting used to such a routine, it can be easy to feel that you more or less know what to expect from your day. While some may like the comfort of having a general idea of what their day will look like, others hope for something new. I’ve found that many new opportunities come when you least expect them. From last-minute day trips, meeting new people, or exploring new places, most of the fun and crazy moments I’ve had this year were from going into a day with zero expectations of the outcome. Letting go of expectations allowed me to feel more in the moment and open-minded. 

4. DON’T PROCRASTINATE 

I know you and I have heard this thousands of times, and it sounds like a solid piece of advice each time. But if you are anything like me, you procrastinate taking the advice too. For me, this year was a game-changer in this regard. Between last semester and this one, I learned it’s always best to start an assignment as soon as possible. It also helps to look at your class syllabus to see when you have exams or assignments due so you can promptly have enough time to study and prepare. Not procrastinating can help avoid those sleepless nights and leave you with an accomplished feeling knowing you got ahead. 

5. DITCH THE PARTY SHOES

Lastly, in the event of a Berkeley party, it may be best to ditch the gorgeous pair of shoes you planned to wear, that perfectly match your carefully planned outfit and opt for a pair you don’t care for as much. I’ve learned that parties don’t love my shoes as much as I do. Whether it be sticky floors, a crowded dance floor, or drink spillage, Berkeley parties can be a game of shoe roulette. Some parties leave you with minimal damage while others leave your favorite shoes as a party casualty. If you can, you may benefit from buying shoes intended for enduring a party or wearing a pair you wouldn’t mind getting ruined. The safest options are close-toed shoes or ones that are easy to clean!

Siannah Buendia

UC Berkeley '24

Siannah is a senior at the University of California, Berkeley, majoring in English. She is currently a copy editor and writer for the Berkeley chapter. You can catch her shopping with a Starbucks Pink Drink in hand, listening to Harry Styles, or exploring new places with her friends in her free time. Siannah is deeply passionate about writing, literature, and fashion. She is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!