This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Just because Valentine’s Day is over, it doesn’t mean that you should stop reading romance books. After all, what better way to escape from reality than by getting comfortable and reading a feel-good book? Here are some of my favorite romance novels:

Beach Read by Emily Henry

January Andrews moves to Michigan for a summer to focus on writing her novel. To her surprise, living next door is her enemy from college, Augustus Everett, who is also an author. Since both of them are suffering from writer’s block, they challenge each other to write a novel that falls into each other’s genre. This proves to be a fun challenge as they take each other on adventurous research outings related to their opposite genres. Just as they overcome their writing challenges, they begin to grow closer and eventually fall in love with each other. This book will have you wishing it was summer (and will possibly have you rekindling with an archnemesis). 

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Soon to be a movie starring Lucy Hale, The Hating Game follows Lucy Hutton as she competes with Joshua Templeman, her enemy at work, for a promotion. As Lucy and Joshua get to know each other more, Lucy realizes that maybe he isn’t as bad as she thought he was. In fact, the tension between them may or may not lead to the most adorable romance ever. This love-hate relationship makes it so much fun to read! One moment they can’t stand each other, and the next moment they’re attached at the hip. This book is super addicting and fast-paced, so be prepared to read it in one sitting.

Woman with book resting in bedroom
Photo by Sam Lion from Pexels

The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory

After meeting in an elevator, Alexa agrees to be Drew’s date to a wedding, which happens to be his ex’s wedding. Despite forming an immediate connection and going to a wedding as a fake couple, their romance isn’t without complications. While Alexa works for the mayor of Berkeley, Drew works as a pediatric surgeon in Los Angeles. The distance doesn’t stop them from keeping in contact and even being each other’s date to more events. One aspect of this book that I truly enjoy is that the Bay Area references are so on point! Overall, this was such a fun read. I found myself rooting for Alexa and Drew, both romantically and professionally. 

The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West

Anything by Kasie West is a feel-good type of book. The level of cuteness and romance in her books is hard to beat! The Fill-In Boyfriend is about 17-year-old Gia Montgomery whose boyfriend breaks up with her right before prom. Determined to prove to her friends that she does in fact have a boyfriend, she asks a boy she meets in the parking lot to pretend to be her date. What starts as a fake relationship turns into a really good friendship (and possibly something more). 

pink prom dress
Tai's Captures on Unsplash

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before Trilogy by Jenny Han

The easy-to-read romance series To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before centers around Lara Jean Covey, a junior in high school who has written a letter to each boy she’s ever loved (hence the title). After the letters mysteriously get sent out to each boy, she deals with the disaster that arises, particularly her older sister’s ex-boyfriend receiving a letter. This results in Lara Jean entering into a fake relationship with Peter Kavinsky, who wants to win back his ex-girlfriend. Aside from the romance, other enjoyable aspects of this series include Lara Jean’s relationship with her sisters, the delicious pastries that Lara Jean bakes, and more! You may have watched the To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before movies on Netflix, which are based on these books. Even if you have, I still recommend that you read the books. The characters, cute moments between Lara Jean and Peter, and various events that don’t make it into the movies are worth reading!

Brianna Astorga

UC Berkeley '21

Brianna is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Media Studies and Sociology. She loves binge watching shows on Netflix, reading fantasy novels, and is obsessed with Taylor Swift's latest album.
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.