4 WOMEN IN SPORTS MEDIA YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As a huge sports fanatic, what I find most alluring is the intense excitement that playing brings. Sports have the capability to unite people and astonish them with talent. The influx of (social) media sports content has also become of interest to me as women begin to play a more avid role in producing it. I find it fascinating that most of the content I’ve seen is created by incredibly talented women. 

The sports content I consume varies; it includes American football, soccer, basketball, and more. These four extraordinary women all actively produce exceptional sports content. I recommend checking them out — maybe even dropping a follow. Whether you’re into sports or not, they’ll likely change your perspective! 

1. Lindsey Pallares (@lindseypallarestv)

Lindsey Pallares is the San Francisco 49ers’ team reporter. Pallares is Mexican-Ecuadorian and a native of Southern California. She graduated from UCLA with a Bachelor’s degree in English Literature as well as a minor in film/television and Spanish Language. She began creating content for the 49ers in July 2022 and has been doing remarkable job since. Her content includes conducting on-camera interviews, producing articles, and hosting/producing the 49ers’ You’ve Got Mail weekly podcast. What I love about her content is the specific insights she gets players to reveal. For example, one of her most viewed Instagram reels (with over 3.3 million views) is a car interview with the 49ers’ quarterback, Brock Purdy and offensive tackle, Nick Zakelj; in the interview, Pallares asked their go-to In-N-Out order. Her content is so intriguing that it’ll make you want to dive even further into American football!

2. Sarah Salahpour (@sarahsalahpour @fcbarcelona)

Sarah Salahpour is a digital content creator and host for FC Barcelona; she’s also been creating content for FC Barcelona since 2020. Salahpour graduated from San Francisco State University with a Bachelor’s degree in communication and media studies. She also received her Master’s degree in sports journalism from Universitat Ramon Llull. As a huge fan of FC Barcelona, I truly appreciate the unique, entertaining content Salahpour creates with my favorite soccer players. She produces content that showcases their true personalities which many fans never get to see. One of her most recent viral Instagram reels (with 15.9 million views) asks the players who their best friend on the team is. Salahpour is an engaging creator who knows the type of content fans want to see! You can find all her content on FC Barcelona’s Instagram.

3. Camille A. Wilson (@camilleawilson) 

Camille Wilson is a storyteller, videographer, and editor. She’s also a video coordinator at the U.S. Soccer Federation. Wilson is from the San Francisco Bay Area and graduated from the University of San Francisco with a Bachelor’s degree in film and media studies. She’s edited many videos for U.S. Soccer such as Behind The Cup | The Messi Semi, Thank You Pinoe | Career Highlight, and The Journey: Sophia Smith. All her work has received favorable reception and been highlighted on social media platforms. Her videography work impresses me every time; I’m sure it’ll make an impression on you too! 

4. Andrea Vilchez (@av7photos)

Andrea Vilchez is a Nicaraguan sports photographer who’s captured many photos for sports events. She’s collaborated with Sports Press Photo (an international media agency) and Premier Sports Images (a youth sports photography company). Her Instagram includes her collection of photos with teams from the MLS, WNBA league, CLUBELEVEN (a digital media publication for soccer), and more. Vilchez may not be a content creator or sports reporter, but her astonishing photos will have you falling in love with her work! It’s likely you’ve even seen her photos somewhere on social media before. 

Even though I only named a few, many remarkable women are reshaping the sports media landscape with their incredible content; their works will definitely leave you with a lasting impression, regardless of your interests.

Kayla Rodriguez

UC Berkeley '25

Kayla is a junior at the University of California, Berkeley, majoring in Film and Media Studies and interested in minoring in Journalism. She is part of the writing and design teams for Her Campus Berkeley. Kayla has experience in graphic designing, video editing, and anything within media. She enjoys writing about sports, entertainment, and music. She works at UC Berkeley's Career Engagement for digital marketing and communications. After graduating, she hopes to enter the journalism, broadcasting, and/or digital marketing industry but has found that she loves following her curiosities in all areas of film and media. She enjoys listening and discovering new music, watching any sport games, going to concerts/music festivals, and going to the gym. She enjoys speaking Spanish and Catalan.