4 Reasons to Watch El Clásico

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.
This Sunday the most anticipated game of year will be played in Madrid, Spain. Known as “El Clásico”, the two best teams in the Spanish league will face each other to determine who will be number one. Real Madrid will be hosting F.C. Barcelona at home in El Bernabéu. It has been proven that when these two giant teams play against each other, it is the most watched game in the world. Whether you support soccer or not, this game cannot be ignored. As caring as we are, here are 4 reasons why you should tune in to watch “El Clásico” this Sunday.

1. The Two Best Teams in the World. (literally)

Barcelona and Real Madrid are the best clubs/teams in the world of soccer and in sports. Their encounters exhibit the most amazing and talented players possible. The best goalkeeper in the world (Iker Casillas), the best defensive players (Gerrard Piqué and Sergio Ramos), the best midfielder players (Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso), and the best two players in the world (Ronaldo and Messi). They are the dream of any coach and fans.  

2. Cristiano Ronaldo vs Lionel Messi. (Who is the King of Soccer?)

Rivals since they were born, Ronaldo and Messi have be competing against each since forever. Ronaldo has to prove why he was chosen the best footballer by FIFA and Messi has to prove that he cannot be dethroned that easy. Who will be the best player in the world?

3. Gareth Bale vs Neymar Jr. (Who is the better signing?)

It’s newbie vs newbie. Although this isn’t Bale and Neymar’s first “Clásico”, it is the match to prove what new player was actually worth the price the clubs paid for. Lately, Bale has been scoring impressive goals, while Neymar has been a little bit overshadowed by Messi. 

4. The Tension and the Passion!

A Real Madrid vs Barcelona game is never complete without a little brawl. The tension this game produces is so big and powerful that it can be felt by fans around the world. There are times when the heat of the game is so explosive that both teams just go at it. There are arguments, tackles, pushes, and even punches during the game, but its all just part of the passion that each player oozes out for there team. 

But that is what “El Clásico” is all about, the passion to defend your club until the end no matter the circumstances. For the fans this type of passion and tension for the game is amazing and entertaining. So whether you scream “Hala Madrid” or “Visca el Barça” nothing is better than seeing a team defend their clubs like the Barça and Madrid players do.

Hi my name is Monica Morales and I am a sophomore at UC Berkeley. I am majoring in Media Studies and hope to one day work in television or for Vogue magazine. I love to travel and I love sports. I am currently a student ambassador for both Bobble water bottles and for sports app Fancred.