This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Body hair is natural. Every human has it, and despite how smooth someone’s skin may appear, they have it or had it at least once. Keeping women’s body hair is an autonomous decision and shouldn’t be influenced by others so-called beauty standards. At the end of the day, it’s your beautiful body, and you decide what you want it to look like. If you feel that removing your body hair is something that will empower you, here are a few methods to consider:

pink shaving razor?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Megan Charles for Her Campus Media

Threading

A professional uses a cotton thread to remove hair from the root to minimize ingrown hairs and leave a clean look. This service is specifically for any and all facial hair including, the eyebrows, chin, lip, cheeks, etc. It’s most commonly used to shape and maintain eyebrows. There are threading devices, but I suggest you visit a threading salon if you plan on shaping your eyebrows or if it’s your first time! Depending on the service you’re receiving, prices can start as low as $5!

Razors

There are a variety of razors, and oftentimes you will find yourself researching the best brands. Everyone has different skin types, some more sensitive than others, so ensure you know your skin type. There are a variety of resources to guide you on beneficial ways to shave to maximize the amount of hair removed and minimize cuts. You can try different methods until you find the best one for yourself! You can also research different products to help make it a great experience. You can shave anywhere, but remember to change your razor and use different ones for different areas. 

Flawless Hair Remover

Some people need help understanding how this one works, but it’s definitely a painless and great option when you’re on the go. Essentially, move the device in circular motions throughout the area with hair and watch your hair vanish! Your skin should be dry, so no need for additional products or preparations. There are a variety of versions of this device. For instance, some require charging, and others are battery-powered. I’d recommend this for facial hair. However, a model designed specifically for leg hair is available. This device is a one-time purchase that you can easily maintain clean by removing the razor head and throwing out the removed hair. 

Waxing

There are waxing strips, sugar wax, soft wax, etc. You can purchase some of these in the store, online, or at a waxing salon. Waxing can happen anywhere on the body, and although it may not be pain-free, it’s quick and smooth. There’s no risk of cuts, and it removes a bunch of hair at once! Services can begin at $15.

Body hair removal is an individual experience and involves some trial and error. Don’t let that discourage you from trying different methods. Ultimately, you’ll find the best one for yourself because you know your body best. Remember that you have autonomy; it’s your choice whether or not you keep your hair. These are just some common suggestions, and there are a variety of other services and devices not listed. I encourage you to find comfort in your skin, however that may look.