Style

4 Affordable and Ethical Alternatives to Fast Fashion Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Are you looking to revamp your fall wardrobe? Well, you’ve come to the right place! Although fast fashion is affordable and offers a vast array of trendy, cute clothing, it’s also harmful to the environment. According to the UN Conference on Trade and Development, fashion is the second most polluting industry for our planet. The material used to make fast fashion clothing is harmful to the environment. Here are some affordable and ethical alternatives to fast fashion: 

#1: Pact

Made with organic cotton, Pact sells affordable and sustainable clothing. Pact is a definite go-to if you’re looking for essential, everyday clothing. Another plus about this brand is how comfortable their clothing is. In addition to clothing, you can also find sheets, pillowcases, and towels on their website.

silvon sheet set
Silvon

#2: Kotn 

Kotn is another sustainable brand that’s perfect if you’re looking for basic clothing at reasonable prices. Their clothing is made from Egyptian cotton, and they work directly with cotton farmers in Egypt. In addition to selling ethically made clothing, they are helping stop child labor. They funded a school in 2017 and have raised enough funds for a second one in order to improve the literacy rates of children in Egypt. 

#3: Boody

Boody is a great place to check out if you’re looking for activewear and loungewear! Their clothing is made from bamboo grown organically in China. It’s certified organic by The Organic Crop Improvement Association. Not only are their products sustainably made, but they’re also helping fight against malaria. The money gained from the purchases of the Boody Giving Bracelet, which is hand-beaded in Africa, goes towards Goodbye Malaria and the Relate Organization.

Pexels

#4: thredUP

Last but most definitely not least is thredUP, the largest online consignment and thrift store. You can shop for various brands at hugely discounted prices. While not all second-hand clothing comes from sustainable materials, buying used clothing is a great way to avoid leting clothes go to waste.

Brianna Astorga

UC Berkeley '21

Brianna is a senior at UC Berkeley studying Media Studies and Sociology. She loves binge watching shows on Netflix, reading fantasy novels, and is obsessed with Taylor Swift's latest album.
Samhita Sen

UC Berkeley '21

Samhita (she/her pronouns) graduated in December 2021 from UC Berkeley with a double major in Communication/Media Studies and Sociology. At any given moment, she may be frantically writing an essay, carelessly procrastinating by watching Claire Saffitz on YouTube or spending time with people she loves.