This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

With about a month and a half left of 2019, things are winding down and award season will soon descend upon us to provide the yearly music roundup. To save you the effort of racking your brain trying to remember the slew of music released this year, I will be preemptively summing up the greatest of each genre sure to win awards in the coming months. There is a 100% chance these songs will, at the very least, receive nominations at the Grammys, AMAs, and BBMAs. But don’t quote me on that. 

The nature of these award shows is that the most played songs are generally the ones getting nominated, so it’s likely you’ve heard these songs before. If not, I hope you’ll at least get some new song recommendations out of this, or maybe just a cynical reaffirmation that music production nowadays is mainly commercial and award shows are popularity contests. Either one’s cool. 

R&B: “EARFQUAKE” by Tyler, the Creator; “Nights Like This” by Kehlani; “Be Honest” by Jorja Smith ft. Burna Boy; “Talk” by Khalid ft. Discourse; “Love Again” by Daniel Caesar ft. Brandy

Source: https://www.billboard.com/articles/events/women-in-music/8054792/kehlani-performs-honey-accepts-rule-breaker-award

Hip Hop/Rap: “Panini” by Lil Nas X; “Juicy” by Doja Cat ft. Tyga; “Cash Sh*t” by Megan Thee Stallion ft. DaBaby; “Taste” by Tyga ft. Offset; “Goodbyes” by Post Malone ft. Young Thug 

Pop: “Sucker” by the Jonas Brothers; “You Need To Calm Down” by Taylor Swift; “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish; “Dancing with a Stranger” by Sam Smith ft. Normani; “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo

Source: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/music/a28067315/taylor-swift-you-need-to-calm-down-video-stereotypes/

Lizzo Hair Flip
Giphy

Country: “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus; “10,000 Hours” by Dan + Shay ft. Justin Bieber; “Butterflies” by Kacey Musgraves; “Look What God Gave Her” by Thomas Rhett; “The Bones” by Marren Morris.

(Okay, “Butterflies” was released in 2018 but we’ll let it slide–it’s an honorary nomination.)

Alternative: “Light’s Up” by Harry Styles; “10/10” by Rex Orange County; “Are You Bored Yet?” by Wallows ft. Clairo; “DHL” by Frank Ocean; “Doin’ Time” by Lana Del Rey​

Source: http://www.justjaredjr.com/2019/10/11/harry-styles-releases-new-song-lights-up-listen-now/

Latin: “24/7” by Becky G; “Con Calma” by Daddy Yankee ft. Snow; “La Canción” by J. Balvin, Bad Bunny; “Loco Contigo” by DJ Snake; “Perreito” by Mariah

So, there you have it. Though this list is compacted, I feel it’s a good indicator for what’s to come. Again, I am very certain that these songs will end up with nominations, but again, don’t quote me – only time will tell. In the meantime, pull up your Spotify and listen away to the (objectively) best songs of 2019!

Natalie Hyman

UC Berkeley '21

I'm a Senior at UC Berkeley with a passion for writing and creativity. I enjoy film and television, health and wellness, and friends! I hope to spread awareness through my writing while focusing on the things I truly care about.
After three years at Cal, Brianna Brann graduated UC Berkeley in 2020 with a double major in Economics and Media Studies! She is originally from Santa Clarita in Southern California, but she loves the weather, nature, and people in the Bay Area. In addition to her unmatched passion for film and television, she also enjoys visiting the beach, playing with her dog, and hiking outdoors!