15 SONGS FOR THE PERFECT FALL PLAYLIST 

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

As the crisp autumn air sets in and the red and orange leaves begin to fall, everyone starts to settle into the cozy fall mood. With the changing of the seasons, it’s only natural to search for the perfect song to match our collective shift from the bright, sunny days of summer to the gloomier, nostalgic days of autumn. Among the myriad of songs that capture the essence of autumn, there are few that make me hit repeat. Here are some of my favorite songs to listen to as I’m walking through campus with headphones in, a cozy sweater on, and a chai tea latte in hand; in other words, it’s the perfect fall playlist

1. “Call Your Mom (with Lizzy McAlpine)” by Noah Kahan 

This song—originally on Noah Kahan’s album, Stick Season—was recently released with a new feature by Lizzy McAlpine. The two artists’ collaboration enhances the autumnal undertones of the song with their shared folky voices in the pop/alternative genre. The song, being an intensely emotional and powerful ballad, maintains a wistful expression that’s suitable for the melancholic sentiments many experience with the changing of the seasons.  

2. “Like Real People Do” by Hozier

“Like Real People Do” is a beautiful song that illustrates a sense of disconnection from reality, the transcendent powers of love, and the acceptance of others. Hozier, an Irish singer/songwriter, also has a unique voice that maintains a strong resonance and bluesy tone. His unique vocal tone and this beautifully poetic song are an absolute essential for any fall playlist. 

3. “Fade Into You” by Mazzy Star

The timeless classic, “Fade Into You,” maintains that perfectly dreamy and mellow quality that complements the mood of fall and the changing of the seasons. The song’s lyrics evoke the idea of cozying up to someone as the days grow shorter and the nights grow longer through their expression of longing, connection, and intimacy. The soothing melody of the song serves as a comforting embrace against the crisp autumn air, just as your favorite fall sweater does. 

4. “Silver Springs (2004 Remaster)” by Fleetwood Mac 

Perhaps recognized as the “ultimate get-back” song due to the rich history and melodrama behind its production, “Silver Springs” by Fleetwood Mac represents the bittersweet chaos that comes with the ending of something. The guitar and instrumentals within this song are nothing less than a masterpiece; although I would listen to this song year-round, I think it’s a perfect addition to any fall playlist. 

5. “Sunsetz” by Cigarettes After Sex

If the wistful, dreamy, and melancholic sound is what you’re looking for to spice up your fall playlist, you can never go wrong with any songs by Cigarettes After Sex. Known for their dreamlike quality, CAS is the perfect artist to spark introspection that typically accompanies the season. Within “Sunsetz,” the melodies and ethereal vocals render a great sense of nostalgia, while also reflecting on the mood of change and evolution. 

6. “Motion Sickness” by Phoebe Bridgers 

Phoebe Bridgers is known for her rich musical arrangement and poignant lyrics, and “Motion Sickness” is no different. In this song, Bridgers explores ideas of self-discovery and the introspective nature brought about by change through lyrics that are vividly honest and deeply personal. Her hauntingly beautiful voice creates an autumnal melancholy that also allows us to find comfort in her vulnerability, making it an essential soundtrack for a scenic walk through the autumn air. 

7. “Kiss Me” by Sixpence None The Richer 

While many of these songs portray a more wistful tone, “Kiss Me” more so demonstrates a whimsical charm that allows us to romanticize our lives. It encapsulates the romance and nostalgia of the season through the melodic catchiness and charming lyrics. It maintains a cozy and uplifting quality that provides an enchanting fall mood, adding a touch of magic to the sweet fall moments. 

8. “When I’m Thinking About You” by The Sundays

The fall invites us to slow down and savor life’s simple pleasures—such as a walk through the park or cozying up by the fire with loved ones—and “When I’m Thinking About You” enhances this sense of tranquility associated with the season. The guitar-driven melody and soft vocals prove to be an intimate arrangement while promoting the melancholic undertones of fall. The sense of longing and reflection conveyed within this song align with typical sentiments of fall, making it a great addition to any playlist. 

9. “All Too Well (10 minute version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” by Taylor Swift 

I simply can’t think of a better song than All Too Well that expresses the slightly melancholic, largely sentimental feelings I associate with fall. Not only does this song quite literally portray an autumn setting, but the album Red also perfectly encapsulates those autumn vibes. Ever since her re-release of Red (Taylor’s Version) in Fall 2021, this album has popularly been classified as a “sad girl autumn” staple for its nostalgia and exploration of dynamic interpersonal issues under a warm, ambient tone. 

10. “Scott Street” by Phoebe Bridgers 

Perhaps the most striking essence of fall is its sense of melancholic beauty, which is perfectly represented in “Scott Street.” It’s only natural that Phoebe Bridgers appears twice on this list. Her hauntingly tender vocals and mastery with ethereal harmonies provide us with the perfect soundtrack for contemplation. It tackles themes of returning to what you once knew, therefore reflecting on the process of change through poetic moments of self-discovery. In a season heavy with nostalgia, it’s only natural to revisit past memories and emotions, and “Scott Street” perfectly serves to accompany these moments of contemplation and introspection. 

11. “Pool House” by The Backseat Lovers

For me, “Pool House” and the song’s instrumentals perfectly mirror the poetic beauty of fall. The solo electric guitar moments create a compelling melodic passage that serves as an ideal soundtrack for any fall and/or nature related activities. 

12. “Vienna” by Billy Joel 

“Vienna” is a sentimental song that reflects the sweet and important process of growing up; it highlights a new perspective on getting older through emphasizing the importance of taking your time to fully live your life, rather than counting down the younger days in anticipation of growing old. As we observe the atmosphere starting to change and watch the leaves change colors and fall, “Vienna” is the perfect accompaniment. 

13. “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out ( 2011 Remaster)” by The Smiths 

As another timeless piece to complement your fall playlist, “There Is a Light That Never Goes Out” provides an iconic instrumentation coupled with expressive lyrics that make it an essential song for any autumn-themed playlist. It expresses sentiments of longing and craving connection that can resonate with many people entering the fall season, providing a space for the universal contemplation of the passage of time and the recognition of our own desires. 

14. “Pancakes for Dinner” by Lizzy McAlpine

Lizzy McAlpine is notorious for her soothing and gentle sound created by her acoustic capabilities. The song “Pancakes for Dinner” presents her signature acoustic guitar and soft vocals that weave a sense of comfort and tranquility into her listeners, therefore mirroring the calm side of fall. As she recognizes moments of simple pleasure within the song, listeners are invited to reflect on their own simple pleasures and, perhaps, partake in them throughout the upcoming season. 

15. “cardigan” by Taylor Swift

A fall playlist is not complete without any songs from Taylor Swift’s folklore or evermore albums. Although I can’t include every song from these albums that I wish to include, “cardigan” is a song that I could never hear enough of. Swift’s stunning instrumentals—both throughout this song and this album, overall—with her masterful song lyrics and story-telling abilities create the perfect atmosphere for fall. Bonus points if you listen to it while wearing your favorite cardigan.

When considering different song recommendations, it’s important to remember that everybody has their own niche music taste, as well as their own niche playlists. Some of these songs may or may not be for you; they were simply selected to represent the sensations and feelings I typically associate with fall. It’s always important to keep an open mind in regards to other people’s tastes and styles because you never know what you may discover about your own taste and style. Enjoy the fall foliage and happy listening!

Angelina Rosete

UC Berkeley '26

Angelina is a sophomore at UC Berkeley pursuing a degree in English and Media Studies, with a minor in Creative Writing. She is on the writing team this semester to build on her experience as a published writer. She loves writing because it provides her with a chance to explore her creative capacity and make her voice stand out. In her free time, she also enjoys dancing, watching new films, and taking pictures of the sunset.