LAST MINUTE VALENTINE’S DAY IDEAS WITH FRIENDS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Berkeley chapter.

Valentine’s Day means something different for everyone. Some obsess over the romantic idea of a holiday all about love whereas others resent it as a commercialized holiday with no legitimate purpose. However we individually perceive Valentine’s Day, I think we can all admit that when it’s February 14, we’re all aware. 

I sometimes struggle to be affectionate and adequately communicate to the people I appreciate how much they mean to me. That’s why I enjoy Valentine’s Day as a calendar date to be more conscious of how I express my love toward others. As a result, I love celebrating Valentine’s Day with my friends, and highly recommend it as a way to celebrate your favorite day or make the most of this day from hell. Whatever Valentine’s Day means to you, here are a few ideas of how to spend it with friends so you can feel the love that you deserve.

1. Elementary School Style Candy Exchange

Do you remember when you were in elementary school and on Valentine’s Day your entire class participated in a candy exchange? You got to have the fun of creating a cute box for receiving candy and spend the entire beginning of February debating which candy to give out to your class. This year, I’m going to travel back in time to elementary school and enjoy that same fun again. It’s a great way to connect with others and enjoy a variety of candy. If you’re living in a dorm, consider engaging your whole floor!

2. Classic Movie Night

There’s something about watching a good old-fashioned rom-com with your favorite snacks that’s so simple, yet so perfect. Whether it’s watching an old-time favorite or cringing through a cheesy Netflix original, these feel-good movies never seem to disappoint. Essential components to achieve perfection in this art form include pajamas, a cozy blanket and the people who make you happiest.

3. Charcuterie Boards

Charcuterie boards are very on theme for Valentine’s Day and a great way to turn eating into a full-blown activity. There’s lots of room for creativity, sweet, savory or anything in between. Make sure to prepare a good playlist. Feel free to turn to Pinterest for any inspiration you might need. 

4. Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Yes, I just listed a single food as an activity. Maybe it’s just me, but I think chocolate-covered strawberries are a huge source of serotonin. Eating them is definitely the best part, but making them is really fun too. You can go with classic chocolate or substitute for white chocolate/colored candy melts. Be sure to get creative with toppings like sprinkles before the chocolate solidifies.

5. Pamper Night

Having a night of pampering yourself is always a good feeling, but it’s even better when you’re mentally rejuvenated by the energy of the people around you. Nails, face masks, fun conversations and you’re set for a relaxing night. This could easily be paired with a rom-com to maximize the potential of your night.

Devyn Healy

UC Berkeley '26

Devyn is a first year at UC Berekely majoring in Society & Environment and Legal Studies She is from Los Angeles, California and loves enjoying nature and finding new places to eat!