What Is A Mukbang And Why Is It So Popular?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Mukbang is an online broadcast where the “host” or “YouTuber” eats large amounts of food, strange foods, spicy foods, or eats ASMR style, while interacting with the viewers. The food-porn phenomenon gained popularity in South Korea in the 2010s and is now popular all over the world! There are mixed views on the concept, with some people who are obsessed with watching these people gorge on food, and those that really hate the whole concept or just don’t get it. 

A lot of people, including myself, feel satisfaction watching these “mukbang stars” eat all these delicious foods. ASMR mukbangs have been extremely popular these days, with viral videos all over YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram. ASMR stands for “Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response” and in simple terms, it’s that tingling sensation you feel all over your body when someone whispers in your ear. ASMR mukbangs are when food, usually extra crispy, gooey, or chewy, are eaten with the focus on the sound of the food being eaten. 

Listen to the sound of the crispy fried chicken:

Learn more about mukbangs and the process behind shooting a mukbang through this Buzzfeed video:

My personal favourites are honeycomb ASMR videos… This one has over 15 million views!

Are you hungry yet? There’s a mukbang out there for everyone!

Emma is a fourth year student, majoring in Sociology w/ a minor in Environmental Studies. She aspires to be a travel & lifestyle editor and enjoys any drink with mint and lime.