What to Gift Your Prof?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

♫ It’s the most wonderful time of the year ♪

Wait, that’s in December. Yet there are weird similarities between winter break and the end of the year. Both involve mind-crushing exams and stress, both tend to be the end of classes in some way, shape, or form, and both involve gift-buying.

Amidst all the exam stress, it’s sometimes hard to remember to buy gifts for the professors you like – and even if you do remember, what to buy? Here are some suggestions.

1) Stationary!

Pencils and paper and ink, oh my! Professors tend to have to scribble stuff down a lot if/when they comment on papers, and there’s nothing like special-bought ink to make the marking go smoother. Also, if you buy sparkly stickers, you could be contributing to the self-esteem of some future student when they see their colorful and shiny marked essay.

source

2) Coffee-related merchandise!

Gift-cards to the coffee shop of your/their choice are a good bet, as profs run entirely on caffeine and the will to instill knowledge. If you’re unsure whether or not they actually buy their coffee or brew it themselves at home, then a portable mug (or a regular mug with cool graphics) will do the trick. You could simply buy them caffeine pills if you want to be boring about it, but – you don’t, right? Right.

source

3) Office supplies/décor!

Office supplies might include things like pen holders, fancy lights you can clip to your desk, liquid hourglasses, or artfully made paperweights. Potpourri is a risky idea because scents can be really subjective – not to mention quick to fade – but if it’s in a pretty container and doesn’t smell too overpowering, then go for it!

source

4) Houseplants!

According to The Guardian, houseplants increase productivity, creativity, and general well-being. Also, they’re pretty, and taking care of them is a good way to de-stress (because even profs need to de-stress). However, flowering plants might seem nice at first, but once their flowers fall off they aren’t as cool. Unless the professor has a vested interest in flowering houseplants, non-flowering’s the way to go.

source

5) Prof-specific Gifts!

You know your profs better than I do, so if you see something you think they’ll like, go with your gut! Maybe your prof is really into travelling – a holographic postcard might do. Maybe your lecture/tutorial was loud this year, or often needed to be brought to order – a small personal gavel would definitely be cool. Do they snack in class all the time? Buy them a fruit basket or an edible arrangement. Perhaps they’re a fan of a particular artist, writer, TV show, or even video game – choose something based on that! Tutorial-wide inside jokes can provide decent inspiration, too. There are a ton of options available!

No matter what you choose, though, it’s ultimately the thought that counts. And the fact that you’re reading this at all shows you’re searching for inspiration for the right gift. Good on you, HCUBC cuties, and go wild!

Chimedum Ohaegbu is a first year arts student at the University of British Columbia, where she spends her time dog-earing books and attending any event where free pens are offered.