Vrinda Ohri: UBC Relay For Life’s Event Development Chair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

This week we spoke to Vrinda Ohri, 4th Year Integrated Sciences student (specializing in Neuroscience & Human Microbiology). Vrinda happens to be the Event Development Chair for this year’s Relay For Life event on campus. We discussed the research she’s involved with, her history with Relay for Life, and post-graduation plans.

In addition to Relay for Life what other extra-curriculars are you involved with? 

I’m a part of ISSA [Integrated Sciences Student Association], as well as a couple of research projects. The first is cancer research – [we’re] trying to figure out which proteins are targeted during HPV (human papillomavirus) infections, and the second is more education-based. We’re looking at whether children in Grades 4 and 5 can learn advanced scientific and mathematical concepts, and whether they can take those concepts and apply them to understand the principles underlying climate change.

Could you explain what Relay For Life is for those who may not be aware of what it is? 

[RFL] is an event [the Canadian Cancer Society] hosts for the community in which cancer survivors, their family and friends, and everyone else is welcome to attend. The whole ‘relay’ part of Relay for Life is because we set up a track in our chosen venue, and for the duration of the event participants [in teams of 8 to 15 people] walk, jog, or run around the track to share their support. The 3 main goals of the event are to celebrate cancer survivors, to remember the people we’ve lost, and to fight back against the disease. We all have hope that one day our efforts will pay off and that we’ll have found a way to beat cancer.

In total, UBC’s Relay for Life has raised over $180,000. Vrinda says they’re projected to raise at least $35,000 this year.

When and how did you get involved with Relay for Life?

I started out in my 2nd year as part of marketing and promo, and I found that I really liked Relay and that I could get behind the cause. The following year I came back as Logistics because I’m better at event planning and have a better eye for detail, and this year I returned as the Event Development Chair!

How much work goes into putting together Relay for Life? How big is the team? 

Planning starts in September, the team sizes varies – the team I’m a part of [Event Development] has about 10 people; Team Development (marketing and promotions) has about 5 people. First term is mainly spent planning and preparing – we start booking the venue, and draft emails to clubs and businesses off campus. Second term we hit the ground running. We send out all the emails, visit businesses, get our donations secured, and set up our venue – definitely a lot busier second term!

Since you’re graduating this year, what’s your favourite memory from your time at UBC?  

I don’t know, there’s so many! I think all the themes from my favourite memories are centered around me and my friends, all the time I’ve managed to spend with them – stressing out about classes, or just having fun chilling in MOA.

What are your plans for after graduation?  

“Crying.” We laugh, but Vrida continuous on a more serious note: I’m going to spend the summer volunteering at various places, with Vancouver Coastal Health, the Dr. Peter Centre (an HIV/AIDS clinic downtown), and get a job with my newly earned degree.

How did you get involved on campus? What’s your biggest piece of advice for students who want to get involved on campus?  

Honestly, I just kept my eyes open. I didn’t particularly check a website, UBC is so full of opportunities that if you just keep your eyes peeled, you will definitely find something!

To participate, donate, or learn more about UBC’s 5th Annual Relay for Life click here, or check out the Facebook event page

Kelly is a UBC student studying microbiology and nutrition. She is a strong supporter for girls and women in STEM fields, and loves all things health and fitness - despite her lack of athleticism. You'll most likely find her on campus or around the city with her earbuds in. Aside from being a big foodie and travel enthusiast, she enjoys discussing anything related to pop-culture, social media, or public health!Find her on Twitter.