Valerie Song: Master of Design, Marketing and Time Management

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Valerie Song is a fourth year student at UBC’s Sauder School of Business, pursuing a Bachelor of Communications with a double option in Business Technology Management and Marketing. She’s consistently and actively involved on campus and a wizard when it comes to all things marketing, technology and design! Her Campus UBC interviewed her on what it’s like trying to do it all, how to stay motivated and what she’s getting up to in the upcoming semester. Plus, she lets us in on her hot picks off the tech market right now!

1. What extracurricular activities are you most involved in on campus?

This school year, I’m most looking forward to returning to JDC West, Western Canada’s largest business competition, with the Sauder team in Business Strategy. This year’s competition will be held January 17th-19th, 2014 at the University of Regina in Saskatchewan, and we are determined to bring back the gold!

2. What jobs or fields are you aspiring to work in after you graduate? Any dream job or organization?

My passion lies within marketing, technology, and design. Over the past couple of years, I have been very privileged to intern with some of the “big guys” in the corporate world (a global advertising agency and a Fortune 500 CPG company). While I enjoy bright lights and cityscapes, I still find myself curiously drawn to start-up culture. Entrepreneurship is definitely my long-term goal.

3. What motivates you to do what you do?

Curiosity and passion. I wouldn’t be anywhere without the pair! I love to learn, create, and discover.

4. Where did you grow up and what was high school like for you?

I grew up in Coquitlam in the same house for 15 years. Coquitlam was a sweet, quiet little neighborhood. I miss our house upon the hills; my parents and I used to watch the citrus sunrise every morning with breakfast.

As a shy kid new to private school, I kept everything to myself in middle school, was buried in books, and was deeply introverted. High school was the biggest transition in my life. With the IB program, I learned how to manage my “work-life” balance much better, all the while lightening up my personality and making great friends. Moreover, with the help of some of the brightest and most caring teachers, I started to discover my passions, which led me to where I am today.

5. Did you have any mentors or people who were deeply influential on you?

Many high school teachers have had a huge influence on my life, but one high school mathematics teacher, Mr. DeVita, inspired me to pursue curiosity and passion. Although specializing in one thing you’re good at is economically efficient, it is also important to be well-rounded, have a good work-life balance, and do what you love. Sounds like a lot to juggle, but Mr. DeVita proved to me that it is possible. Not only was he a superb mathematics teacher, caring sincerely about his students and adept at communicating concepts with extreme clarity, but he was also eloquent and musically gifted.

There was a period of time in high school when I was very worried about graduation, if I was good enough to be “someone”, and also the upcoming transition into university. In a casual conversation with him before he retired, he told me he was confident that I would be able to find my path, and told me not to worry too much about the future as long as I worked hard to follow my passions, not someone else’s. His advice has been very impactful, and he remains a role model and inspiration to me.

6. What are some of your most notable achievements to date?

The most recent and relevant achievements would be work that I’ve done at P&G Canada this summer. I’m not really one to talk about specifics, as that’s something I like to save for LinkedIn. Look for a blog update from me in the near future if you’d like to learn more about my internship experience, how I applied, and other tidbits of advice.

7. What projects are you working on right now, and what’s the next big thing you’re focusing on for the upcoming semester?

This year, I am exploring all the wonderful opportunities in entrepreneurship. So far, I have been actively building my portfolio in freelance design work (logos, business cards) and assisting in marketing and brand management for conferences, companies, and start-ups, but what I’m most excited for is working on my own creations. I currently have a couple ideas under way, and you can follow my Twitter, LinkedIn, or blog for further updates and other fun things.

8. What are your tips for college girls regarding time management and juggling commitments in university?

This is something I am still in the process of learning, and something that I have struggled with throughout university. I learned these the hard way, but here are my top tips:

1) Know your capacity. There was a point in time when I was juggling 6 courses and 5 extra-curricular exec positions on top of sports. Not a good example. Know how much you are capable of handling; it’s all about a good work-life balance. Set a cut-off time for work or play if you’re finding yourself overwhelmed with work.

2) Learn how to say NO. It’s hard enough balancing your own work, so do not feel pressured to have to commit to every single thing people ask you to do.

3) Don’t forget to have fun. For most, this is your last opportunity to enjoy student life before being released into the “real world.” Always keep in mind that grades could get you a job, but they won’t be engraved on your forehead for the rest of your life. Your experiences and friends, however, will. Enjoy your time here in university, smile lots, and stay hungry.

On the next pages: Her favorite gadgets right now, and some great back-to-school buys!

[pagebreak]

Talking All Things Tech

Valerie is passionate about all things technology, so naturally, we couldn’t resist asking her about what her favorite gizmos and gadgets are. Here are her latest obsessions and top picks for students!

1. Best Tablet

For students, I would say the Samsung Galaxy Note or the Microsoft Surface RT. The two are great for note-taking. I’ve heard some great things about the S-Pen, and the Microsoft Surface N-trig pen is also very fluid. I think the two are great for note-taking and reading lecture slides or eBooks; however, I think the tablets are too small to do be efficient for heavier work or entertainment. For those who have a higher budget, I’d recommend the new iPad or a Thinkpad Tablet 2. 

Samsung Galaxy Note

Microsoft Surface RT

[pagebreak]

2. Brand to Watch

eCommerce and mobile commerce are both growing rapidly – I am most closely watching Square and monthly subscription sampling programs like BirchBox and Ipsy.

Square

[pagebreak]

3. First Smartphone Obsession

I’m an Android girl, so I would definitely say my HTC One X. Beautiful phone, great functionality.

HTC One X

[pagebreak]

4. Gadget Wish List

a. A Little Printer. Not only are they are adorable, but also the company has also done an amazing job with marketing and branding. 

Little Printer

b. I’ve always wanted to get my hands on a pair of Google Glass augmented reality glasses… because who wouldn’t want to view the world like Tom Cruise in Minority Report?

Google Glass

c. A 3D printer and product blueprints. The technology is astonishing, especially being able to produce human organs. My dreams may not be too far off, as 3D printers are already available to the public as of a few months ago for £700!

3D Printer

And finally, her best investment will surprise you – they’re simple, “$30 Bluetooth mini-speakers that are heavy-duty, super loud, and work like a charm!”

Zafira is a fourth-year English Literature Major at the University of British Columbia and is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UBC. She grew up in sunny Kenya and now lives amongst the beaches and mountains that is beautiful British Columbia. She is thrilled to introduce Her Campus at UBC and build towards its strength in Canada! When she's not reading a book, she is usually wrestling with her hair and her umbrella under the constant torrents of rain in Vancouver, or can be seen with a yoga mat tucked under her arm, as Vancouverites do.