books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

UBC Stories of Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Procrastination is undoubtedly a part of student life, and it can snowball quickly. You go to look up one word definition and suddenly you’re 8 episodes deep in a Markiplier YouTube binge. Procrastination can also sneak up on you; it’s easy to fool yourself into thinking you’re being productive when you’re actually just wasting time.

As one HC UBC writer said, “I’ve had so many procrastination ‘near misses’ I call them, I’ve lost track of the worst one.” This week we invited our writers to share their various stories of procrastination. Please enjoy our suffering:

“I usually browse videos on Facebook. Usually Cosmopolitan has really cool ones about cake decorations. In classes I browse Buzzfeed quizzes like ‘based on your food choices we will tell you what kind of guy you like’. Lately, I’ve been using Twitter and just looking at hashtags and reading what people have to say about certain topics that interest me.”

– Feed Me, Buzz 

“I justified binging 2 seasons of ‘Call the Midwife’ during exam season last year by telling myself that it was educational.”

– Not Even a Nursing Student

“I’m guilty of doing EVERYTHING possible before I have to study. That ceiling fan I haven’t touched in months? Definitely needs dusting; Closet looks a little packed? Better reorganize all of my clothes and get distracted by what I find; That Pinterest recipe I’ve had on my food inspo board for a year now? Time to cook it. Even though I’m still procrastinating, at least I’m doing something productive…right?”

– Productive af

“I think the craziest level of procrastination I ever reached was in first year. During exams, I once went to the commonsblock gym to run at 3am, to avoid studying for an exam that I had the next day.”

– Making Procrastination Healthy Again

“There’s a game on Facebook called ‘Endless Lake’ where you tap a little character to make him jump over spaces in a bridge. My first try I got 5 points. The second time I got 13. I played until I could get to 1800 in one go.”

– Useless Skill

“I procrastinated on my online course despite an upcoming quiz until 5 hours before the quiz closed. I had two weeks of content (7 lessons) to cover. I went through the lessons taking notes faster than anyone has ever done before. Hundreds of years from now, archaeologists will find my notebook and dedicate their lives to deciphering my shorthand. BUT I DID FINISH THE QUIZ IN TIME!”

– Deadline Junkie

What’s your craziest procrastination story? Thanks for reading, and remember: take breaks when you need them, but don’t let them get out of hand!

Photo Credits: giphy.com

Avery is a second-year student at the University of British Columbia, where she is exploring her innumerable and possibly not very practical interests. She hails from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and has plans to do much more travelling before she gets too tired. If given a choice she would much rather have gone to Hogwarts, but readily admits that UBC is a close second. Her most notable talent is an uncanny ability to quote Hamilton during almost any conversation.