Turning Your Old Stuff Into Treasure: Holiday Donations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Have you accumulated things you no longer want after the first semester? Surprised by items you didn’t even know you had and definitely will not miss while cleaning up in preparation for holiday events? Left with a present you simply cannot use by a well-meaning holiday gift giver? Simply feel like spreading some holiday cheer? At this time of year, there are many places and campaigns looking for donations of gently-used items to give to those who may need them or sell to fundraise for important causes. Read on for five convenient places to make such donations.

*****

1. Common Energy’s Zero Waste Team Donation Drive

Common Energy is the largest and most active student-driven sustainability organization on campus, and is divided into six teams spotlighting different aspects of environmentalism. The Zero Waste team is focused on reducing the waste that UBC generates, in furthering the goal of eventually having a waste-free campus. The Zero Waste team will be collecting donations until December 18th in the Games Room of Walter Gage residence, and will be holding a booth in Ritsumeikan house on December 15th and 17th to gather items. These items can include anything from clothing to small household items to school supplies. Some of the materials will then be given to UBC Free Store, which is located in the old SUB basement and offers a 24-hour service where members of the UBC community can pick up and drop off free items at their leisure. Other materials will be donated to Aunt Leah’s Place, which is an organization that supports youth who have aged out of the foster care system and struggling teenage mothers.

Photo

2. Big Brothers of Greater Vancouver Donation Bins

Big Brothers is an organization that aims to pair vulnerable youth with positive adult mentors. As part of their fundraising efforts, Big Brothers collects gently used items and sells them through Value Village. Items they are looking for include clothing and accessories, bags, blankets, houseware, toys and games, small appliances, and CD’s and DVD’s. The closest donation box to campus is located at Wesbrook Mall and Agronomy Road.

Photo

3. Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre In-Kind Donations

Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre offers a safe and supportive centre for all women who are connected to the Downtown Eastside, including food, counseling, recreational programs, hep with referrals, advocacy, and social opportunities. They accept donations of such things as blankets, toiletries, feminine hygiene products, undergarments, clothing, DVDs, books and magazines, and arts and craft supplies. Donations can be dropped off at the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre, located at 302 Columbia Street from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm daily, and 10:00 am to 12 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

Photo

4. BC SPCA Thrift Stores

The SPCA works to protect all animals in society by offering such things as cruelty investigations, shelters and adoptions, emergency rescue, an SPCA Certified program for food products, wildlife rehabilitation, veterinary services, and livestock inspections. Their thrift stores help to contribute to their operating costs for their shelters and will take donations of houseware, furniture, appliances, electronics, clothing, games, and books. The closest location to UBC is located at 3626 & 3606 West Broadway and is open from 10 am to 6 pm daily.

Photo

5. Covenant House Donations

Covenant House supports vulnerable homeless, runway, and at-risk youth between the ages of 16 and 24 through short-term residential care, longer-term transitional living, and support through the Community Service Centre. After January 1st, Covenant House will be accepting donations of age-appropriate items such as clothing, unopened hygiene supplies, non-perishable food items, books and magazines, electronics, basic housing goods, bedding, and art supplies. However, they do not accept furniture. Items donated will go directly to the youth supported by Covenant House, and can be dropped off from Monday to Friday, 9 am to 6 pm and weekends from 9 am to 4 pm at 575 Drake Street.

Photo

Happy Holidays!

Chelsey Kolenda is a sixth-year English Literature and Theatre student. An aspiring elementary school teacher, she loves making new friends, food, social justice, student leadership, and all things creative. She can often be seen obsessing over her favourite foods or Broadway hits.