Snakes of UBC: The Slithering Sauderites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

UBC is a source of many great meme pages, and this week HCUBC reached out to Snakes of UBC to chat all about the effect of memes and banter between the faculties. Read on for a snake-y perspective on the UBC experience!

HCUBC: So, Snakes of UBC, how did you make the transitions from slithering around campus to dealing out quality memes?

I did so by waiting for the opportune time to enter the snake-meme market (sort of like an IPO) before others could cash in. From there, it was a matter of applying life lessons learned through academia – specifically, the reliance upon crowdsourcing materials from others while pushing some original content.

HCUBC: And how is that working out for you so far?

It’s hard to quantify. The meme-academic and work-life balances are hard. Reactions are the currency at play here. Initially, in the peak of the snake meme market, it was very polarized. There was a bit of institutional pushback amid approval of my peers. Now, however, it’s more about interacting with other meme pages or UBC-related pages to foster connections between disparate parties – or just for kicks. I’ll get back to making original content soon, though.

There might be a collaboration between the CUS and the AUS, as indicated by some comments after I called out the CUS for not having an entertaining and well-produced video explaining what CUS is. It feels good to help through irreverent means.

HCUBC: Ah, quite true. On the note of interacting with other UBC-affiliated pages, what is your  opinion on all the hate that Sauder has been getting?

Well, it’s not really hate. Like, at the moment, there’s no focus point for genuine hatred towards Sauder. It’s more like contemptuous banter that occurs between every faculty and school. I remember a time when a lot of people genuinely hated Sauder and the CUS, but that was a different, much more serious case.

HCUBC: Good to know. As a snake, how do you feel about the way your kind is represented in UBC online/meme culture?

Everyone else is jealous that they don’t have as cohesive an identity as we do. People in Commerce will sometimes hiss for no good reason, just to sound like a snake and it causes giggles to erupt all around. That said, I know not everyone is as enamoured by the meme.

HCUBC: I see. Is the faculty aware of the Snakey presence, and if so what do they think of it?

I have no information on whether or not the faculty is aware of this page. I do, however, know the CUS is very aware and has been very curious about this page. They have reached out a couple times. Some love me enough to want me to come in from the cold, but some have colder feelings.

HCUBC: Overall though, how has your reception among students been?

Reception has been very good. In a world filled with strife and stress and drama, students are just looking for an occasional chuckle. That’s what these meme pages of UBC are doing, in their own ways, and so as long as you can be positive in someone’s online experience – it’s all good.

HCUBC: How uplifting! I completely agree. Thank you very much for your time. Do you have any last words from the Snakes to the rest of UBC?

To the rest of UBC: Dear [insert faculty of your choice here], don’t take the banter too seriously. We like to stir the pot, we like to joke, we like to seduce you with our memes, but we’re all in this mess of a world together. So when you’re roaming the post-apocalyptic wasteland of UBC, debating whether you should engage those raiders for the last remaining Timbits, just remember – they probably said something shitty about your faculty, but now you’re all fighting over Timbits, so it really was pointless insults. Take care everyone and best of luck.

There you have it folks. Follow Snakes of UBC on social media for more sass and sweet memes, and remember, it’s all in good fun!

Photo Credits: Snakes of UBC via Facebook

Avery is a second-year student at the University of British Columbia, where she is exploring her innumerable and possibly not very practical interests. She hails from the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island and has plans to do much more travelling before she gets too tired. If given a choice she would much rather have gone to Hogwarts, but readily admits that UBC is a close second. Her most notable talent is an uncanny ability to quote Hamilton during almost any conversation.