The Sister We Always Wanted: Oregon State University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Her Campus is like one big family, and we are lucky to be a part of that family here at UBC! This week, sister chapters Her Campus UBC and Her Campus Oregon State University got to know each other a little bit better by learning about our teams and our schools.

*****

1. What is your weirdest campus myth?

“Our weirdest campus myth that may just be true is the stories surrounding Sackett hall, Ted Bundy, and it’s haunted catacombs.” “Waldo Hall on campus is haunted.”

2. What is your major?

“New Media Communications with a minor in writing.” “Digital Communication Arts” “Merchandising Management” “Fine Arts” “New Media Communications, minors in Writing and Spanish”

3. Does your school have any annual traditions? What are your favourites?

“OSU has a lot of annual traditions! My favorite would probably have to be the puppies in the quad during Dead Week and Finals Week.” “We have a New Student Walk at the beginning of the year for incoming Freshman. This year I was able to participate since I was a freshman, and it was very exciting.” “Our yearly rivalry games played against the University of Oregon are huge, especially for football. It’s called the Civil War series, and basically the entire state is in constant battle.” “There’s a huge homecoming event that everyone gets really excited for. There’s also an event called “the undie run” in the spring where at least 100 people run through campus in their underwear and then go to the event leaders’ house afterwards to celebrate. It’s so much fun!”

4. What do you plan on doing after graduation? 

“Taking over the world one article and by-line at a time!” “I kind of want to take a year off and travel before I have to succumb to the responsibilities of being a real-life adult.” “I’m not quite sure what I want to do as a career yet but I do know I want to travel, live in Portland or Chicago (I have lived in and love both areas), and work in fashion either writing or working at a smaller retail company.” ” I plan on interning in London or New York next summer, then applying for a position at a Pacific Northwest company such as Nike.” “Moving to New York City and working for Cosmopolitan Magazine or doing social media, buying, and marketing for a fashion boutique!”

5. What do most students do for fun?

Most students on campus will go on bike rides, get food on Monroe Avenue, take trips to Portland and the coast, and attend Greek functions and house parties for fun.” “Watch Netflix in their dorm and going on Tinder. There are also hikes nearby that you can do if you have a car.” “Work out at Dixon, hike Mary’s Peak, shop downtown, eat, watch Netflix, hang out at coffee shops.” “The bars come alive late into the nights on the weekends. We live in a small town, so there’s really just drinking to do, lol.”

6. Mac or PC? 

“Mac, obviously.” “PC all the way.” “PC.” “Both!” “MAC! Honestly how do people even work on PC’s anymore.”

7. Where is the best place to get coffee? Why? 

The best place to get coffee on campus in my opinion is the Dutch Bros location right near the campus store. They always play upbeat music, the employees are super friendly and there are always deals and delicious holiday drinks.” “Definitely Dutch Bros. They have the best coffee and energy drinks, and the employees are always so nice! It’s nice to have a local favorite so close to campus.” “I think the best place in town for coffee is Coffee Culture. The one on Kings has a home-like atmosphere. It’s cozy, cute, and the baristas are just other students looking to get to know you.” 

8. What is at the top of your bucket list? 

“Honestly, it’s tied between winning an Oscar for screenwriting and traveling Latin America.” “Go on a road trip in a Westfalia camper.” “Going to Puerto Rico is at the top of my bucket list currently. I was actually born there back when there was a naval base there called Roosevelt Roads so I really want to go there and see what’s left of the old base and explore the area.” “More traveling or marrying the man of my dreams.” “Travelling outside of the country — I’ve never been! Cabo would be amazing right about now.”

9. Does your school have any “inside jokes”? 

We all share inside jokes on a Facebook page called “Things overheard at OSU” which is always hilarious. Some things only our campus would know about include dancing mike, the yelling preachers, and poling projects to name a few.” “‘Are you a Beaver? Cuz Dam’” “Anything bashing the Oregon Ducks!” “We rack on the Ducks, our rival, a lot. Many of their fans aren’t very pleasant so we Beavers pride ourselves in being civil, getting better outcomes with our educations, and living in a nicer area than Eugene. ‘Win or lose, at least we don’t live in Eugene.'”

10. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

“Somewhere remote, away from people. A little village in the south of France.” “Narnia would be pretty dope.” “If I could live anywhere I would probably want to live in Italy. The food is great, the fashion is stunning, the people are full of life, and the scenery is lovely.” “I would live in New York or London because I’ve spent time in both cities and I love being in the hustle and bustle of a busy area. Boredom isn’t even a thing.” “Definitely New York City.”

11. What is your hometown?

“Well I’ve lived in Corvallis for the past 7 years but before that I moved a lot so my hometown is kind of here, there, and everywhere.” “Vancouver, Washington.” “Coronado, CA.” “Portland, Oregon.” “I grew up here in this town. Corvallis-native FO LYFE.” ” My hometown is Philomath, literally 10 miles from Corvallis towards the coast. I needed to be close to home when I started college due to family matters, otherwise I would’ve gone out of state.”

12. What is your favourite part about Her Campus?

“Getting to see my team every week.” “Exposure to a variety of writing styles.” “Getting to gain experience in writing articles, plus I love our Her Campus team and I really enjoy getting to work with everyone.”  “Access to cover interesting events!” “The network is SO BIG and the opportunities for personal and professional growth through your team and the wider organization are so great. I also love that you can even make your personal blog go big with HC.” “The friendships I’ve made. :)”  “Having the chance to talk to people I wouldn’t normally meet.” “Getting to write about fun and important topics with lovely people!”  “The diversity of the team, and writing about things that are relevant and interesting to us in a very approachable way.” “Getting to know the campus better through interviewing people and keeping up with school events!” “Learning from other people on the team.” 

***** 

Want to know what UBC had to say? See if you agree with our staff by checking out the other side of this interview here!

Katie (she/her) has a Graduate Diploma in Business from Queen's University and a BA in Psychology with a minor in Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Social Justice Minor from the University of British Columbia. She is a former Campus Correspondent of HC at UBC and is passionate about people and their wellbeing, photography, and food.