Sister, Sister: Meet Our Sister Chapter, Her Campus University of British Columbia!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

College is all about meeting new friends and creating new memories that will last a lifetime. We all love Oregon State for many reasons, but have you ever wondered what it would have been like to attend college in a different state — or even a different country?! Get a look into the life of a student at the University of British Columbia by meeting our sister chapter — the wonderful staff of Her Campus UBC!

We asked each other some questions about our teams and respective schools, so check out what they had to say below, and then head over to their site to see how the HC at OR State girls asnwered them!

1. What is your weirdest campus myth?

“They apparently got a fully-constructed little, red Volkswagen on top of the clock-tower for Engineering week and how they did that (if they did that), blows my mind.”

2. What is your major?

“English Honours”

“Asian Language and Culture”

“Electrical Engineering”

“Psychology with a minor in Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice”

“English Literature”

“Sociology”

“Political Science Honours”

“Microbiology and Nutrition”

“Linguistics”

3. Does your school have any annual traditions? What are your favourites?

“My favourites include Imagine UBC, Welcome Back BBQ, and the Block Party!”

“Imagine Day, and the engineer marching band caroling around campus on the last day of classes. They came into my 1st year chemistry lecture one year!”

“My favourite traditions are within my sorority if that counts! We have a really fun event at the beginning of every year and get to meet everyone in the greek system.”

“There’s an Undie Run every year in the spring semester during exams when students can take off their clothes and run through the libraries and across campus to blow off steam.”

4. What do you plan on doing after graduation? 

“Working and travelling.”

“Teaching in Korea.”

“I would like to have a cat and work in journalism or as a magazine editor.”

“Work in the [electrical engineering] industry for a couple of years.”

“*Nervous laughter* Take some decompression time and then visit a new place in the world. Possibly seeking employment at a university after that?”

“HAHAHA! One day I plan to own my own dog!”

“I would like to go to law school and then maybe run for office one day!”

“Working and studying languages in Hong Kong.”

5. What do most students do for fun?

“Soooo many runners and bikers.”

“Exercise seems to be a huge thing, as well as hitting up the local pub for some good company and drinks!”

“Going out to the Bimini (a local bar) on Wednesday nights!”

“PIT NIGHTS.”

6. Mac or PC? 

“PC.”

“P.C.”

“MAC 4 LYFE.”

“I own a Mac, but I like both!”

“Mac (and you’ll never go back).”

“MAC.”

“Mac – but before university, I would have said PC.”

7. Where is the best place to get coffee? Why? 

“Seedlings, our hidden gem on campus! Very inexpensive, made by volunteers, almond milk and soy options for fancy coffees!”

“I like Boulevard – the music is always fun enough that it keeps you happy but chill enough that you can actually get work done. Also the coffee is A+.”

“The Great Dane is pretty cool – the staff are really friendly and they have nice outdoor seating.”

“Blenz. They have pink to-go coffee cups so I mostly just go there for the aesthetic.”

8. What is at the top of your bucket list? 

“Europe trip! That, or work with elephants in Africa.”

“Visit England, Wales, Ireland, and France.”

“My bucket list is overflowing, but among others, I would like to start my own company to reduce world hunger.”

“Be hired to take photos of food.”

“I wanna’ go to Iceland!”

“Fall in love and travel the world with them (I’m a hopeless romantic, emphasis on the “hopeless.”)”

“To actually FINISH writing a novel and to explore England, France, and New Zealand.”

9. Does your school have any “inside jokes?”

“The cars on the stairs… And maybe Carter the Coyote, but Carter is more of a friend and dear memory than an inside joke.”

“Last year a bunch of cars ccidentally drove down staircases and it was hilarious so that’s probably one. Also the fountains that they keep building make everyone laugh cause we’re all sick of construction and paying money.”

“Just look up ‘S**T UBC says’ on Youtube and there are some great gems.”

“The “Drake Hotline Bling” video was pretty funny and grabbed a lot of media attention.”

10. If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

“Montreal.”

“I would love to live in Toronto or Montreal for a while as I’ve never been anywhere in Eastern Canada and would love to experience it.”

“Tie between Melbourne and San Fransisco!”  

“New York or somewhere in Norway for a while!”

“Iceland, but I also want to stay in Vancouver forever. It’s nice here.”

“Somewhere tropical like Bali or Hawaii for a couple of years, but Vancouver or New York eventually.”

“San Fransisco, Bay Area, or Vienna, Germany (If I could speak German) :)”

“I love the West Coast, so San Fran or right at home in Vancouver!” “

I’d like to live wherever I earn money!”

“Vancouver or New York City.”

11. What is your hometown?

“Chilliwack, B.C. and Surrey, B.C.!”

“North Vancouver”

“Surrey, B.C.”

“Deep Cove, North Vancouver, B.C.”

“Surrey, BC”

“Calgary, AB”

12. What is your favourite part about Her Campus?

“Getting to see my team every week.”

“Exposure to a variety of writing styles.”

“Getting to gain experience in writing articles, plus I love our Her Campus team and I really enjoy getting to work with everyone.”

“Access to cover interesting events!”

“The network is SO BIG and the opportunities for personal and professional growth through your team and the wider organization are so great. I also love that you can even make your personal blog go big with HC.”

“Getting to know the campus better through interviewing people and keeping up with school events!”

“Getting to write about fun and important topics with lovely people!”

“The diversity of the team, and writing about things that are relevant and interesting to us in a very approachable way.”

How would you all answer these questions? Be sure to check out Her Campus UBC’s interview with the Her Campus at Oregon State team and see if your answers match up!

Lara is a graduate of Oregon State University, with a degree in New Media Communications and minors in writing and Spanish. Currently, Lara resides in New York City and works in the Influencer Marketing space.