The Real Uses of Social Media Explained

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

We all know that social media is intended as a means to keep us all connected in an ever expanding world. Here’s what its actual uses are:

Instagram

Instagram is a simple way to “capture and share the world’s moments”. But let’s be honest, Instagram is where we post selfies, and occasionally check the “activity page” to see whose photos our friends and crushes are liking. Not to mention, Instagram transforms even a photo of a coffee into a beautiful work of art through the use of a single filter. #Bless.

Twitter

Twitter is one of the social media platforms we secretly hope no one will read, especially our bosses and coworkers. Yet, we openly voice our possibly offensive opinions and thoughts that we find hilarious even if no one else does. Or, alternatively, if your name is Zola, you choose to use Twitter to very publicly tell your long, epic, life story in 150 separate tweets.

Facebook

Facebook is where we connect with friends, family members, and people we sort of know, but not really. It’s hard to describe all the uses of Facebook, because mostly people use it to creep and probably check it occasionally while bored at work or school. We share articles, memes, and “like” the photos of people we haven’t actually spoken to in possibly years.

Tinder

I’m sure this is the one you’ve all been waiting for. Tinder, how people “meet” in the modern era. The app lets people know you’d be interested in, well, “befriending” them. I wouldn’t say it’s really changed many of our love lives for the better, but it has sped up the process of elimination, boosted some ego’s, and provided sufficient entertainment. Just try to avoid the guys who’s first message is, “you have Snapchat?”

Snapchat

Which brings me to the next point. Snapchat is the best possible way to send a photo without someone ever seeing it again…unless you add them to your ‘story’. So, that being said, Snapchat is really where we send embarrassing selfies to our besties and post embarrassingly funny videos. Essentially a way to chat with people without actually having to talk to people.

Born and raised in Vancouver, Rebecca is a young aspiring writer who currently studies at UBC. Follow her on instagram @rkenward