Procrasticheffing Take 2: Quick Quinoa Salad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

Quinoa has been one of my go-to proteins since becoming a vegetarian. Everything in this salad is extremely nutritious so fill up on it, and your body will thank you.

It’s refreshing, vibrant and easy for non-chefs like me to make, which is one of my favorite things about the dish. And, while colorful, it’s also quite versatile! You can eat it alone or with chips. I enjoy eating it with tortilla chips, which makes the dish shareable, and its a total step up from the usual chips and salsa – not to mention the gentle touch of spice makes it the perfect cold Christmas salad too!

*****

Ingredients:

• Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
  • Juice from 2 medium, juicy limes
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
  • 1 half small red or purple onion, diced fine
  • 1 small yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced fine
  • 1 cup roasted corn kernels (I used frozen, roasted on a cookie sheet for 6-7 minutes, then cooled)
  • 1 large head of crisp romaine lettuce, washed, dried, sliced crosswise
  • Gluten-free tortilla chips
  • 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, diced

*****

Instructions:

1. Drizzle the cooked quinoa with extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat. Squeeze on fresh lime juice and toss again. Season with sea salt, to taste.

2. Add in the fresh chopped cilantro, diced red onion, diced yellow pepper, and roasted corn kernels. Stir lightly to distribute. Taste test for seasoning adjustments.

3. Line four salad bowls or plates with the fresh romaine. Spoon the quinoa salad on the center of the lettuce. Add the diced avocado to each plate. Tuck in a few tortilla chips around the edges.

4. Serve with an extra lime wedge.

Serves 4.

*****

Full Recipe here!

If you try this recipe out yourself don’t forget to tweet us a photo or tag us on Instagram! @hercampusUBC

Akshita (pronounced Ak-she-tha) hails from the beautiful lands of Nairobi, Kenya.Her interests dabble in everything from Astronomy and Social Issues to occasionally writing about herself in the third person.She enjoys photography, travelling and exploring Vancouver!