Procrasticheffing Take 1: Full English Breakfast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

First, let’s step back and objectively admire this:  

I think it’s gorgeous – Oh, the aesthetics…but beware that this recipe WILL totally incapacitate you. It may or may not result in a food baby, which will leave you struggling to remain conscious rest of the day. Carbs in the morning, am I right?

It’s not often that I get the time or motive to cook myself a big breakfast, but when I do, it marks an occasion.  This time around, I’m hosting brunch for a group of friends. They pep up my day and deem it special simply because of their presence. I love how food can do this too; how it can add a little oomph and turn an ordinary morning into one of significance just because of what is laid out on the table.

With some inspiration from Jamie Oliver, I attempted to emulate the great feeling of culinary pleasure and recreate a traditional English breakfast, minus the grease…and meat.

“A traditional full English breakfast includes bacon (traditionally back bacon), fried, poached or scrambled eggs, fried or grilled tomatoes, fried mushrooms, fried bread or toast with butter, sausages, and baked beansBlack puddingbubble and squeak and hash browns are often also included” -WIKIPEDIA

Here’s what you need to buy for the vegetarian version! This is recreational, so you totally have the freedom to modify the recipe to suit your taste buds:

• Eggs
  • Bread
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Mushrooms
  • A can of baked beans
  • Tofu
  • Potatoes

REMEMBER: 7 ITEMS.

Things I’m assuming you already have:

• Cooking Oil (preferably Olive Oil)

*****

Here’s how you put it all together:

1. Eggs: fry ‘em, poach ‘em or scramble ‘em

I usually crack two eggs into a bowl, sprinkle in with a pinch of salt. Whisk them for 30 seconds and empty the bowl onto a hot pan that has a teaspoon of butter melting on medium heat. Once you see the corners slightly setting or turning white, use a spatula to drag a section of the eggs from the corner to the center of the pan. Repeat for the entire area of the pan and VOILA, EGGS DONE.

2. Mushrooms

Chop them up. Take a handful and add them to a hot pan containing 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Watch them turn golden brown and turn off the heat. You don’t want mushroom chips. They should be juicy when bitten but slightly crispy on the outside. I usually also add half a teaspoon of garlic salt for some additional flavour. Mushrooms: check!

3. Bread

Here’s a handy video on mastering “fried bread”.

I stay away from the all the frying and prefer plain and simple toasted Rye with very lightly spread salted butter. Since I currently don’t own a toaster, I flip the slices over on a pan at medium heat for 30 seconds on each side until they’re slightly crispy and then butter them up. Job done!

4. Cherry tomatoes

Half each tomato and let them sit fleshy-side down on a pan over medium heat for one minute and then flip them over (smooth side down) for another minute. They ought to be nice and juicy! Finito!

5. A can of baked beans

You’re probably not going to eat all the beans in the can so save some for dinner or for your drunk 2 a.m cooking adventures. Remove contents from can. Judge your appetite and heat a portion of the beans in the microwave/on a pan. Done.

6. Tofu

Mix 3 teaspoons of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and a little pesto in a bowl. Cut up the slab of tofu into strips and let it marinate properly in the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes.

In a heated pan, shallow fry the tofu until its slightly crispy and golden brown on both sides.

7. Potatoes

Cut into wedges and shallow fry in cooking oil until crispy and golden brown on both sides. Or you could buy a pack of potato wedges and bake them for 30 minutes at 375 degrees Farenheit while you put together everything else!

BONUS!

8. Eggplant

Slice an eggplant in half, coat with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Once its done, sprinkle a pinch of salt over the fleshy portion for taste.

*****

Put it all together and plate. ENJOY!

If you try this recipe out yourself don’t forget to tweet us a photo or tag us on Instagram @hercampusUBC!

Akshita (pronounced Ak-she-tha) hails from the beautiful lands of Nairobi, Kenya.Her interests dabble in everything from Astronomy and Social Issues to occasionally writing about herself in the third person.She enjoys photography, travelling and exploring Vancouver!